PDA

View Full Version : I am a total cooking dork with an easy question

klpmommy
02-24-2007, 08:11 AM
I never learned how to cook growing up (we always ate out of cans, boxes or at a restaurant) so I don't know how to do simple things that the rest of the world knows how to cook. I can't find a cookbook that tells you simple stuff either, they all seem to think that you know the basics already. Anyway, here is my question: How long do you boil an egg to make a hard boiled egg? The last time I tried I didn't cook it nearly long enough & it was disgusting & inedible. TIA!

Mother of Sons
02-24-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm making hard boiled eggs right now! There are a lot of methods but the way I do it is to fill a pot with water and then add the eggs. The water has to completely cover them. Then heat the water on high until it boils. Shut the heat off and then let the eggs sit for 15-20 minutes. This avoids green eggs.

beccafromlalaland
02-24-2007, 08:17 AM
If you don't mind green eggs :-) You can just boil them on high for 5min, then shut off the heat and allow them to sit in the hot water for another 10min or so then turn cold water on them in the sink :-)

mom2threePKs
02-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Couple cookbook ideas for you...

I got the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook as a wedding present http://www.amazon.com/Good-Housekeeping-Illustrated-Cookbook/dp/other-editions/0688170218/ref=dp_ed_all/002-9115950-7548063 It looks like it may be out of print but there are some used versions available. Honestly, that's where I learned to hard boil an egg. Very good. Very basic with lots of pictures!

Also I love this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Kitchen-Family-Cookbook-Revised/dp/193361501X/sr=1-1/qid=1172331353/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9115950-7548063?ie=UTF8&s=books

This one has lots of explanations and reviews of products with family friendly recipes. It focuses a lot on the science of cooking so if you get a basic concept you can use that to improve your cooking in other areas. For example, if you are trying to brown something in a pan, like a chicken breast, it will brown better ifyou make sure it is dry before you put it in the pan, make sure the pan is really hot before you add it and don't move it once you put it in. The recipes will tell you to do all those things then a side bar box will tell you why.

Either of these would be a great investment toward some basic cooking skills.

Magan

lumpofclay
02-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Is it the sitting in the water with the heat off that keeps the eggs from being green?

We've always boiled ours (in a medium boil) for 20 minutes. I like to make sure they are *done* yk? I didn't realize we could turn off the heat (and save electricity/$$) and still get the same results. Is it "done, done"?

mom2threePKs
02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
My Good Housekeeping Cookbook said to put them in a pot of cold water. Turn the heat on, leave the pot uncovered. When ti starts to boil, turn the heat off and cover. Let it stand for 15 minutes. Then drain. They are done done at that point with lovely yellow yolks and firm whites. Works every time.

Magan

Mother of Sons
02-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Yep they get totally done. The long boiling is what turns them green. I just make sure that it's at a nice rolling boil and then shut it off and let them sit.

klpmommy
02-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Thank you! I am hopefully hard boiling eggs right now. I am trying MOS's method. Is there a crossing fingers emoticon? And, ACK! Too many choices! I'm glad I started my eggs before reading so many different methods!

Those books look great Magan. I might order the second one. I just placed an order with amazon last night, so I guess I definately need more books! :)

katiekind
02-24-2007, 09:01 AM
A fun cooking website for people who need to see pictures and to be told in a step-by-step, don't- assume-I-already-know-this fashion is http://www.cookingforengineers.com It has kind of a supportive "cooking is fun and interesting" tone that I like. I got out of my childhood without learning much of anything about cooking, too, Kimberly.

Mothering by Heart
02-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I boil my eggs for several minute before turning them off. We like 'em green :mrgreen

I've tried the turning it off method and there is always that little spot of yellow that is not cooked :sick

michelle
02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I boil my eggs for several minute before turning them off. We like 'em green :mrgreen

I've tried the turning it off method and there is always that little spot of yellow that is not cooked :sick

I think altitude also affects the boiling/cooking time. I have always lived at or below sea level until a couple of years ago and I have noticed I have to cook things for a few minutes more especially boiling eggs or they turn out like soft boiled which unfortunately I do not like.

Saphirah
02-24-2007, 11:27 AM
If you add a bunch of salt to the water it makes the eggs easier to peel too. But I always forget that part.

milkmommy
02-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm making hard boiled eggs right now! There are a lot of methods but the way I do it is to fill a pot with water and then add the eggs. The water has to completely cover them. Then heat the water on high until it boils. Shut the heat off and then let the eggs sit for 15-20 minutes. This avoids green eggs.

This is my method as well I typically boil up a dozen or two up at the start of the week. I do ytpically keep them in the rapid boil for a minute before turning off the heat though.

Deanna

me
02-24-2007, 11:55 AM
My Good Housekeeping Cookbook said to put them in a pot of cold water. Turn the heat on, leave the pot uncovered. When ti starts to boil, turn the heat off and cover. Let it stand for 15 minutes. Then drain. They are done done at that point with lovely yellow yolks and firm whites. Works every time.

Magan

:yes Sure way to have perfectly boiled and "pretty" eggs!
And like what was said earlier, adding salt to the water does make them peel easier. Be sure you give them a quick rinse in the same water to remove any tiny shell pieces missed. There's nothing worse than getting a tiny piece of shell in your mouth.

klpmommy
02-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Thank you!!! I made a couple on Saturday and they were just a bit wet in the center, but much better than any previous attempt! I made quite a few yesterday & they turned out prefectly. YUM!

Thank you for the website. I will definately need to spend some time there.

Michelle-Lea
02-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, my method is a bit different. I put the eggs in a pot with alot of water, enough to cover them alot and then add a couple pinches of salt. I put them on the stove on med-hi. I then go about other things and in about 30-40 minutes when I remember them, I take them off the stove.. :lol: I ALWAYS forget about my boiling eggs.