PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Get Your "Info" From An Online Photo?

chelsea
02-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I hear somewhere that info can be gathered from the coding on digital camera pics. This makes me a little nervous. Is it a bad idea to have any digital photos online anywhere, at any time? For example, if I sent my photo to someone can they tell where I live, etc? This makes me a little :nails :nails

Mother of Sons
02-20-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't really see how they could.

chelsea
02-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Ahh, I found the quote I was vaguely remembering. This was what someone said in the "Protecting Our Children" phorum on a related thread:
Smething to keep in mind is that digital photographs apparently contain more information in their coding or something than scanned ones. Like info from your computer and or camera about where you are located.
That made me go :jawdrop

Mother of Sons
02-20-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't really understand that though. I've never put my personal info into my camera. How does it know where I live?

There IS info though. You can find out what settings were used, what day it was taken etc.

SansSouci
03-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Well, they could find out from your e-mail address or even your post online. There are programs where they just type in your ISP info and it can be traced to pretty darn close to where you're at. Freaky freaky!

SouthPaw
03-20-2007, 10:24 AM
:scratch i don't see how it could be in the photo. now i know digi photos usu. encode time and date and i think exif data (shutterspeed,etc,) sometimes (am i right?? i think soo..) but not your location...

Punkie
03-20-2007, 10:28 AM
There are certain cameras (that you pay a lot extra for!) that put a GPS marker in with your picture so you can see where you took it. Most cameras don't have that though :)

SouthPaw
03-20-2007, 10:33 AM
There are certain cameras (that you pay a lot extra for!) that put a GPS marker in with your picture so you can see where you took it. Most cameras don't have that though :)

and unless i'm wrong, you could easily fix that for uploading online by just changing the file type (right??) into one that can't contain that data (tell me if i AM wrong) :shifty

Punkie
03-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Some of them put a stamp on the photo, kind of like the date stamp, but other than that it should be pretty easy to get around :)

RubySlippers
03-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I right clicked on my photos and looked at the properties. I don't see any sensitive info on them.
Are you saying there is some other way to find out info on the photos?