PDA

View Full Version : 2 stage soaked flour whole grain breadmachine recipe

tempus vernum
02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
This is one of THE best breads I have ever had. I have made A LOT of different breads but this one has got to be the best tasting and the easiest and probably one of the healthiest as it's "soaked" flour.

ENJOY!

Soaked -- 2 stage bread machine bread
**altered from The Urban Homemaker newsletter. By Lisa Burchel

Use homemade program (as long as your bread machine is programmable, you can adapt method to your machine)

1. Put in the bread machine

1 C water
2 T apple cidar vinegar or lemon juice
4 Cups freshly milled whole grain flour

2. Set program as follows:

Preheat – off
Knead 1 – 3 min
All other settings off

3. Unplug machine, place plastic wrap over top of the bread machine pan. Leave soaking flour mixture in the bread machine pan. Soak the flour mixture 12 to 24 hours. Remove plastic wrap

4. Add to soaked flour

2 tsp salt
4 TB vital gluten or gluten flour
2 tsp yeast

Melt together - until oil and honey are both liquid consistency (I actually start the machine while I am melting these together
3 TB honey
2 TB butter or oil (I use palm oil - coconut doesn't work as well in this recipe IMO)

**after approx. 10 minutes of kneading check texture of dough. SHould be slightly sticky and very pliable. If too dry add 1 TB water at a time. If too wet, add 1 TB flour at a time to reach desired texture.

5. Plug in machine and use following settings on the homemade feature

Preheat: 30 min
Knead 1: 24 min
**check texture of dough (see above)
Rise 1: 45 min
Rise 2: 1 hour 25 min
Rise 3: OFF
Bake: 1 hour 10 min

*updated 4/29/8 :) ;)

herbalwriter
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
:think I wonder if I could adapt that to my machine? It sounds so good! 4 TB of gluten is a lot, though...how big a loaf does it make?

tempus vernum
02-12-2007, 07:41 PM
:think I wonder if I could adapt that to my machine? It sounds so good! 4 TB of gluten is a lot, though...how big a loaf does it make?

Hmm. . either 1.5 # or 2 # I think all my recipes say 4 T gluten for my zojirushi :think

Mert
03-26-2007, 12:49 PM
**after approx. 10 minutes of kneading check texture of dough. If too dry add 1 TB water at a time. If too wet, add 1 TB flour at a time to reach desired texture.

Hi Jodi... I was just reading some about the whole WAPF/NT/Maker's diet stuff and your link to this recipe. It sounds really great, but I have a ?? How do you check the texture? Do you just open the bread machine, or do you have to stop it some how? I've never done this with my zoji so I didn't even know that you could check!! :shrug TIA :mrgreen

tempus vernum
03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
I unplug it for a second and feel the dough. Check to make sure its soft and supple and slightly sticky.

Mert
03-27-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the tip!! :mrgreen

musicmama
03-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Can I take it out and bake it in the oven? That's what I do now when I don't wanna lug out my DLX mixer, I prefer the texture of it baked in the oven. I do a full dough cycle and then another rise and then bake...

What do you think?

ETA: That does seem like a LOT of gluten. My normal bread recipe is 2lbs and calls for 1 teaspoon of gluten :think

tempus vernum
03-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Can I take it out and bake it in the oven? That's what I do now when I don't wanna lug out my DLX mixer, I prefer the texture of it baked in the oven. I do a full dough cycle and then another rise and then bake...

What do you think?

ETA: That does seem like a LOT of gluten. My normal bread recipe is 2lbs and calls for 1 teaspoon of gluten :think

:jawdrop on the gluten :think I dunno

As far as baking in the oven I'd like to try it but haven't. If you try it let me know!

GodChick
07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
subbing :yum

Soliloquy
07-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks for posting!!! I have been meaning to ask you for your bread recipes. :sigh We are off grains ATM, though. Owen is going to Mercola's clinic in Chicago and they want him to minimize grains for the time being. :violin

tempus vernum
07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks for posting!!! I have been meaning to ask you for your bread recipes. :sigh We are off grains ATM, though. Owen is going to Mercola's clinic in Chicago and they want him to minimize grains for the time being. :violin

:hug Bummer :(

I forgot to post my cinnamon raisen variation :)

add 4 t cinnamon to flour in first stage

Increase gulten to 5T
Increase Honey to 3T
Add 1/2 C raisens (can go up to 1 C but it doesn't rise as well)

We LOVE this :yum

BTW, I also looked at other breadmaker recipes and have never seen a recipe for less than 3 T or more gluten :think ANyways, I am happy with this recipe cuz of its simplicity AND because I can get gluten flour really cheap through country life. I make this with spelt flour and it works super good. I also realized that if you melt the coconut oil and honey together and bring it to a minimal boil (i.e. just starting to bubble) it rises much nicer and more consistently :)

Marielle
07-26-2007, 09:48 AM
hey that's called an autolyse! It's how the french make those wonderful rustic breads. Autolyse is just mixing the liquid and flour first to make sure it's hydrated well (and most bread recipes are built around the weight of the flour, liquid varying according to humidity levels). Then they let it rest for varying times depending on the bread type and other ingredients are kneaded in using a method called frisage.

Do you find that your cinnamon raisin version rises as well as the others? I've read that there's something in cinnamon that doesn't allow the dough to ripen as well as so should be swirled in at the end when shaping instead of while making the initial dough.

GodChick
07-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Jodi, I have a question (I'm new to this. :lol )

When you say "vinegar" in the recipe, is that apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar? I want to try this over the weekend, but I don't want to use the wrong vinegar! :nails

tempus vernum
08-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I use organic apple cider vinegar - you could use lemon juice or whey too!

About the cinnamon, it does cause it to rise a little less but we like dense cake like cinnamon bread :yum

GodChick
08-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Thank you, Jodi! :kiss

Oh, and since you're so knowledgeable about it: if I could use whey, does that also mean I could use plain yogurt or kefir? :yum

tempus vernum
08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Thank you, Jodi! :kiss

Oh, and since you're so knowledgeable about it: if I could use whey, does that also mean I could use plain yogurt or kefir? :yum

Hmmm.. . I am not sure -maybe LisaM knows? I will look in NT tonight at their 2 stage bread (it's not breadmaker but maybe will answer this question). I am not near as knowledgeable about yogurt or kefir because we have dairy allergies. I can't even use whey!

I am just wondering if the yogurt or kefir would change the acidity (which is important for a yeasted bread) :think I haven't tried anything but vinegar so I can't be sure :think

I am NAK but will check out NT for you :hug

GodChick
08-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Thank you! :heart I do have apple cider vinegar here, so I could just use that. :yes

tempus vernum
08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I think you'd be good using kefir or buttermilk :tu. I think yogurt could change the consistency of the loaf unless if was fairly thin. I read through the section on soaking flours tonight in NT and it was really informative. It also motivated me to try some new things that look yummy in her recipe section. In fact, I just started soaked pancakes for tomorrow's breakfast :yum. The kids and I discussed what to try first in the recipes :rockon Tomorrow we are going to start soaking the banana bread :yum

ANyways, I think the only thing that *COULD* throw you off is the consistency of the dough. As long as you stop the machine to check to make sure the loaf is not too dry or wet. I am thinking this cuz the kefir even is much thicker than water

I would love to hear if kefir or yogurt works. Someday we hope to go back to raw milk -- Lord willing, Savana will be able to tolerate it :pray4

bananacake
02-28-2008, 04:27 AM
I wonder if you can due this using non-traditional grains? We makes gluten-free bread.

tempus vernum
02-28-2008, 09:02 PM
I am finding the majority of recipes are "convertible" to soaking but it takes practice and patience. Although rice is one grain that is said to be more easily assimilated and you can skip soaking. If that is what you are making bread with. . . I can't cook with rice so I have no "tips" (dd2 has an allergy).

What I do to convert is ADD 2 T lemon juice to the water or milk that is liquid base, combine with flour and let sit 12 hours. Mix in remaining ingredients and proceed with recipe as usual.

Rabbit
02-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Are we talking gluten or gluten flour in this recipe?

canadiyank
02-28-2008, 11:27 PM

I've always bought the Bob's Mill thing that says "Vital Gluten" and used it for ww bread (the recipe in the OP calls for "vital gluten"). Doesn't the "bread machine" ww flour already have it added in? Not sure.

tempus vernum
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Vital wheat gluten is the same thing as "gluten flour" and then there are glutenous flours (hard wheat, spelt, etc) Flours that already contain a significant amount of gluten. If I am using ww flour I use fresh ground spelt. But hard wheats (red or white) always have a high gluten content. Soft wheats are for pastry wheat. Vital wheat gluten or gluten flour is actually a concentrated amount of gluten to help yeasted items rise better. I buy mine bulk and 5 pounds lasts me half of forever (I freeze it).

:think I know nothing about ww bread machine flour because I don't buy flour except gluten flour. I grind all my own flours.

Rabbit
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM

Vital wheat gluten is the same thing as "gluten flour" and then there are glutenous flours (hard wheat, spelt, etc) Flours that already contain a significant amount of gluten. If I am using ww flour I use fresh ground spelt. But hard wheats (red or white) always have a high gluten content. Soft wheats are for pastry wheat. Vital wheat gluten or gluten flour is actually a concentrated amount of gluten to help yeasted items rise better. I buy mine bulk and 5 pounds lasts me half of forever (I freeze it).

:think I know nothing about ww bread machine flour because I don't buy flour except gluten flour. I grind all my own flours.

My bread machine book says that gluten and gluten flour are different. Gluten flour is a mix of regular flour and gluten, while gluten is just straight gluten. I thought this might be the difference between the recipes people are seeing that call for mere tsps of gluten, and the recipes calling for multiple tablespoons.

ETA:
http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/11/theres-big-difference-between-gluten.html

tempus vernum
02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Hmm. . interesting. I'll have to pull out the original recipe and see which it called for - I am a recipe changer. The person who sold me the bulk "gluten flour" said it was pure gluten :scratch Maybe he should have been calling it "gluten powder" I noticed that link called it gluten powder not glute flour - I never checked the ingredients on the package when I got a whole 5 pound bag of it. ANd now it's not in its original packaging :think

I do know that when I ran out of bulk I used vital wheat gluten with NO difference in texture :shrug

Rabbit
02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Other links I've read say that there is no standard name, so you really have to check the ingredients to know which it is, and that sometimes, it can even change at the supplier for the brand, without the brand knowing.

bananacake
03-01-2008, 09:17 AM
I am finding the majority of recipes are "convertible" to soaking but it takes practice and patience. Although rice is one grain that is said to be more easily assimilated and you can skip soaking. If that is what you are making bread with. . . I can't cook with rice so I have no "tips" (dd2 has an allergy).

What I do to convert is ADD 2 T lemon juice to the water or milk that is liquid base, combine with flour and let sit 12 hours. Mix in remaining ingredients and proceed with recipe as usual.

I used rice, tapioca flour, potato starch and buckwheat flour in my bread. Also, I can't do dairy.