PDA

View Full Version : What should I plant?

jghomeschooler
02-03-2007, 09:54 PM
We have changed from a SAD to a vegan diet. I want to grow some organic foods on our patio, I have very little space so I'm planning on SFGing. I don't want to get overwhelmed, so I want to start with one box. I don't know what I should plant, here in SoCal where the weather is pretty mild- we don't get frosts in my area- ever. Well, technically it snowed here once like a hundred years ago, but anyway, that's freak weather. I can get organic carrots pretty cheap it seems, I want to grow bell peppers and tomatoes. I think I'll grow them in separate containers though, instead of my box. I'd love to order those nets and grow some melons vertically, maybe I should grow my maters vertically too. :think Anyway, any input? I'm wondering about lettuce, is it worth it to grow lettuce? How many "heads" can you grow per SF? I obviously need to check the SFG book out again from our library, LOL. TIA

kklibrarian
02-05-2007, 03:52 PM
We're doing two SFG boxes (one with a trellis, maybe both with a trellis) and some containers this summer. We're planning on planting tomatoes, sweet peppers, hot peppers, eggplant, turnips, cucumbers, squash, purple hull peas, and some dwarf corn. We've already got a few potatoes in the ground.

Blessings,
Kelly