PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Organic Gardening- no digging

jghomeschooler
02-03-2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.pfaf. org/leaflets/vegorg.php
I thought this was pretty cool, and sounds a lot easier than tilling, digging up weeds, etc.
HTH someone

ArmsOfLove
02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
it looks very interesting--but I had read it was unhealthy (or unkosher :scratch) to use human excrement for gardening :shrug I think it's really not good.

jghomeschooler
02-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Oh yeh, totally :sick on that point. I just thought the part about using newspaper/cardboard to kill off weeds, and the no digging parts were pretty cool. There's no way I'd use ANY excrement. IMO, that would still cancel out the "vegan" part of it, LOL.

greenjellysnakes
02-14-2007, 08:00 PM
We used a no-dig method for our vegie garden. We put down about six or seven alternating layers of newspaper and straw, then kept it really wet for about 6 weeks. By the time we were ready to plant, the weeds were gone, the newspaper and straw was broken up, and the ground underneath was soft and perfect for planting. Definitely an easy way to go!

greenemama
02-17-2007, 04:01 PM
maybe they're thinking that vegan excrement is healthy. :ex there were lots of interesting ideas, tho.

greenjellysnakes
02-17-2007, 10:47 PM
maybe they're thinking that vegan excrement is healthy. :ex there were lots of interesting ideas, tho.

They might think it's healthy, but the thought makes me :sick

abbiroads
02-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I want to comeback to this. I'm hoping to put in my first garden ever this year.

domesticzookeeper
02-18-2007, 12:01 AM

They might think it's healthy, but the thought makes me :sick

Yeah, that does seem a little :sick I'd personally go with bunny poo: it's free, vegan ;) and they produce LOTS and LOTS of it :giggle

SueQ
02-19-2007, 07:07 AM
I lilke the no tilling using straw and newspaper idea but the human urine in the compost :sick2. Although my father a farm often used bedding from the barn with animal manur in to mulch their garden. They worked it into the soil in the fall and let it sit all winter. We use leaves, grass clippings, and things like that.

DS (8) wants to raise earthworms and use their soil in our garden to enrich it. He saw an article about it in Ranger Rick. I think we will do that as part of our Science class this spring. :)