PDA

View Full Version : If My Father's World and Sonlight were the exact same price.....................

2TMama
02-02-2007, 10:18 AM
which would you choose, and why?? :shrug :think

TIA mamas!

Quietspirit
02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
oooo...good question! I'm looking at both of those for next year when I'm schooling all 4 children at home. :popcorn

Carlashelle
02-02-2007, 11:58 AM
At first, I was intrigued by Sonlight, but looking thru the catalog it seems overwhelming!! There is SO much. I do like that it comes with all the books, though. That's why it appealed to me at first. ;)

asher
02-02-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm interested to hear your opinions, too. :D

Winkie
02-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Definitely MFW! Unfortunately, I don't have time tonight to elaborate, but I figured I'd post now so I'll be sure to come back when I can. :)

Also, I think the price difference comes from the fact that with SL you are buying the books vs. MFW where you get your books from the library. So, if you want to make the price the same, you could always buy the books for MFW from Amazon or wherever. ;)

Gentle Journey
02-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Tried neither but trying to figure out what to use next year :popcorn

Miss Priss
02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I've used both, and I would say MFW hands down.
Sonlight was just too much for us. In addition to a lot of reading, there's worksheets, and hands on stuff as well.
MFW incorporates all these too, but with less packed into a day. I felt frustrated doing Sonlight that we could never get done.

Winkie
02-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Ok, I'm back with my :twocents I've never used Sonlight, only read through their catalog & considered it. However I identified with a number of items on their list of "Reasons NOT to use Sonlight" http://www.sonlight.com/not_to_buy.html :giggle Obviously, tons of people love SL & it works for their families.

Why I prefer MFW (in random thought order):
* It's a Bible-centered curriculum. "Bible" is not an extra subject to be studied along with Math, Science, etc. but woven throughout. For example, in K you study the sun (science) and also memorize that "Jesus is the light of the world". In 1st, Bible stories are used to teach phonics. History is taught through God's eyes - world history in the context of Bible history.

* Hands-on activities. I've heard that SL doesn't have many. The ones in MFW are simple, doable, inexpensive, but fun & effective. Supplies are found at home or grocery store/StuffMart.

* Learning styles. I think MFW does a better job of incorporating all 3 learning styles. For me personally, I am a visual learner with auditory waaaay at the bottom. So the SL idea of sitting & listening to Mom read me stories all day, gives me the heebie-jeebies. :giggle I know that *I* would not be able to learn that way. And I don't really know what my dc's styles are yet, so I'd rather do something to touch on each one.

* Teaches history chronologically. I'm so stinkin' excited by this idea, I can't wait to get to the older history programs, because I just know that *I'm* going to learn a lot! :lol I wish they had taught it that way when I was in school. I was never interested in history as a student, in fact I often ask my dh (a History Channel buff) about when & where things happened.

* Holds off on teaching other cultures/religions until the child is more mature. The child is grounded in learning about God & Jesus, before they learn the name of Zeus.

* MFW keeps seatwork to a minimum. One worksheet per day in K.

* CM idea of short lessons. 15-20 min. per subject so it's time-efficient. Even the upper grades are designed so that you would have your afternoons free.

* Easy to use Teacher's Manual - everything is planned out for you. (but it's easy to tweak if you want to)

* Hands-on math rather than workbooks for K & 1st.

* Nature walks & nature journals are encouraged.

* Price. SL is too expensive for me. I'm happy to use the library & if any books turn out to be favorites, then we can buy them. Also K & 1st are all-inclusive, no need to buy a separate math or LA curriculum.

* Multi-age teaching. With MFW, all children in 2nd-8th grade are in the same program.

HTH! :grin

2TMama
02-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Winkie~ Thanks so much for your detailed reply :rockon

Metrodcdoula~ I was able to get my hands on a SL K instructor's guide and I must say, it seemed a tad intimidating. I'm sure w/ time it would be 2nd nature, but I much preferred the layout of MFW's lesson plans. (In the scheme of things, I don't think *that* in-and-of-itself would be a reason to NOT choose SL-- but at first glance, that was my impression)

For anyone else who is interested:

http://www.sonlight.com

http://www.mfwbooks.com

Quietspirit
02-06-2007, 10:00 AM
MFW is looking good to me as well, especially since I will have 4 homeschooling next year. I like the fact that I can teach subjects together.

I'm going to try to compare the two side by side at our Convention.

fourbygrace
03-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Been here, done this. We used Sonlight for 2 years and are using MFW this year (in a relaxed manner ).

We definitely prefer MFW and are enjoying the books so much more as we do not have to "rush" through them. I lloked at the Sonlight atalog to see if I want to switch back and no, I don't think I do.

Winkie gave a most detailed review, so no need to repeat that! :giggle

Mary

deena
03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
This is fascinating! I did one year of sonlight and loved it but all the assigned work was so unnecessary. I quickly tossed the manuals and just started reading the books how I wanted to and teaching what I wanted to. I LOVE the books though. Anyhoo, MFW sounds so cool. I'll try that the next time I homeschool (in a few years, I'm in school/work right now)

This Busy Mom
03-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Well, don't forget www.winterpromise.com (I'm so not helpful)

Seems like a lot of former Sonlight users like Winter Promise. It's been frustrating and overwhelming for me to try to implement this year, but I had a new colicky baby and a very VERY busy toddler.

deena
03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Well, don't forget www.winterpromise.com (I'm so not helpful)

Seems like a lot of former Sonlight users like Winter Promise. It's been frustrating and overwhelming for me to try to implement this year, but I had a new colicky baby and a very VERY busy toddler.

Thanks!

Quietspirit
03-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Winterpromise looks REALLY interesting! And it has notebooking! :heart I'm going to spend some more time at their site...

Mama Calidad
03-13-2007, 08:09 AM
I looked at Sonlight and bought quite a few of the Kindergarten books. The sample I saw (and it's been a while) of the schedule gave me headaches. We don't generally read like that. I'd have the schedule perpetually messed up, because some books we'd wind up way ahead on (because I'm not going to put a book down when the kids still want to hear the story, unless necessary) and other books we'd be way behind.

I'm considering MFW for DS for K.

heidisue
03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
i'd probably use sonlight and just skip some of the stuff i saw as overload because #1 i like the materials they select and #2 they are more orthodox christian friendly.

Winkie
03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
#2 they are more orthodox christian friendly.
I'm just wondering if you're comparing SL to other curricula in general, or to MFW in particular. I think MFW does a good job of presenting just Bible & leaving the interpretation up to the parents, so it's easy to use by folks of any doctrine.

live~laugh~love
03-13-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't know about SL, but I've been comtenplating MFW and WP for weeks now :shrug. I'm having a hard time decideing, lol!