PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for homemade dough ornaments?

apmommy
12-17-2006, 04:07 PM
When I was a kid, I used to make homemade ornaments that I had cut from cookie cutters. It must have been baked because it was hard as a rock??? Any one remember these and know how to make them?

I thought it would be nice to have dd make homemade ornaments for everyone this year.

Close2MyHeart
12-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure of the one you are talking about... tho it sounds vaguely familiar. Have you googled it??

I have one for cinnamon ornaments that you cut out w/ cookie cutters and then just leave to dry. They are VERY cinnamony :)

lovemy3
12-17-2006, 07:54 PM
I have a recipe for those. I did them with the kids 2 years ago and it was really easy and a lot of fun.

Ornament clay:

Boil together 2 cups salt and 2/3 cup water (it never really liquifies).

Add one cup cold water and one cup cornstarch. Remove from heat. (If it doesn't firm up, place back on burner for a bit).

Allow to cool a bit, roll out, and punch with cookie cutters. Lay flat to dry for about two days, then decorate.

The dough is very white, so it'd be great for snowflakes

Also, you can add some food coloring to the cups of water when you add it and color the dough.

And don't forget to punch holes to hang them by.

Garnet
12-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I jsut posted a link for this in the Christmas part of the Celebrations forum. Cinnamon dough too.

bostonsmama
12-20-2006, 07:39 PM
we make them but they are just salt, flour a wee bit of oil and water. you dont bake them, just lay them out to dry and they do get very very hard. lmk if you need the recipe still.