PDA

View Full Version : what kind of apples are best dehydrated? And what other fruits?

poleidopy
12-09-2006, 03:01 PM
I tried twice to dehydrate tofu and it turned out AWFUL. I am not going to do meat. We are leaving on our Xmas trip to Ohio soon and I want to take lots of healthy snacks. I just dehydrated some apples (I thiink they were galas?) ANd DS likes them, but I don't. What kind make the best apple chips? And are there any good "recipes" (like, spices to add, not just plain fruits." I'd like to do a bunch of fruits since we won't be able to take fresh ones.
:popcorn

furrysmommy
12-09-2006, 06:16 PM
We are dehydrating now. Any firm red apple will work also bananas, strawberries, we like to dehydrate cherries in the holes of sliced pineapple. Also if you have a fruit roll up tray you can make any flavor fruit roll up using any of these fruits. One good thing to do is soak everything in pineapple juice that will keep it from turning brown and give it a little bit of a kick.

Aisling
12-09-2006, 06:22 PM
My favorites dehydrated are gala and granny smith :grin

Iarwain
12-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I like a nice tart apple for dehydrating otherwise they don't have much flavor IMO. Dipping them in lemon juice will keep them from turning brown too and that gives them a nice bit of tartness.

This Busy Mom
12-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Fuji's are really sweet. I've never dehydrated them, though.