PDA

View Full Version : Low prep, low cost crockpot recipes!

Dana Joy
12-01-2006, 02:05 PM
ok so i'll never win an award on a cooking show, but being a single wahm to 4 kiddos has made me very reliant on my crock pot. so i thought i would share me recipes in the hopes of you guys sharing yours.

bbq chicken sandwiches
put chicken (ussually the big frozen bag of breasts) in crockpot, cover with bbq sauce- cook for 6-8 hours on low- serve on buns

teryaki chicken
put chicken (ussually the big frozen bag of breasts) in crockpot, cover with teryaki sauce- cook for 6-8 hours on low add frozen brocoli and a can of pineapples 15 minutes before serving- serve on rice

chili
mix stew beef with a package of chili seasoning. mix in crockpot with two cans of chili beans, one jar of salsa. cook on low for 6-8 hours. serve with cornbread.

gringa chicken burritos
put black beans and chicken (ussually the big frozen bag of breasts) in crockpot, cover with canned enchilada sauce- cook for 6-8 hours on low. serve on tortillas with cheese

Sarai
12-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Yum -these all sound good. :yum

One question about the gringa chicken burritos- do you use canned black beans? I have a can at home & would like to try this.

Eowyn
12-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Heeeyyyyy, how'd you get my BBQ chicken recipe? :shifty :giggle

Dana Joy
12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
One question about the gringa chicken burritos- do you use canned black beans?

Yup :yes just drain off the bean juice...

Bonnie
12-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Another good one for getting rid of cans of beans :giggle... a few more ingredients, but still pretty cheap.

Taco Soup
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 can black beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans, undrained (original recipe calls for kidney, but I think it should be pinto)
1 can corn, drained
1 large (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained (recipe calls for crushed, but whatever)
1 medium can sliced olives, drained (optional)
about half a small can chopped green chiles (optional)
1 packet taco seasoning mix
1 packet ranch dressing mix (I've never used it)
1 small onion, chopped (I use dehydrated, works fine)

Throw the whole lot into a large crock pot. Cook on low 4-6 hours.

Great with shredded cheese and sour cream on top, served with Jiffy corn muffins. Yum.

milkmommy
12-01-2006, 08:32 PM
We made crock pot "lasagna" for dinner super easy
1) package frozen cheese ravioli
2) one pack frozen or fresh spinach
3) Jar of chunky garden spaghetti sauce (about 28oz)
4) 2 cups mozzarella cheese
layer ingredients sauce ravoli sauce cheese in crock pot cook on low about 3-4 hours
This recpie ussually cost us around $6 and will easily make 8-10 good servings

Deanna

Jillian
12-01-2006, 08:39 PM
I used to make that teriyaki chicken all the time, thanks for reminding me about it!

The taco soup sounds really good, too. :P

milkmommy
12-01-2006, 08:48 PM
latter this week were doing split pea soup and buttered yams and cranberry sauce :yum

1lb dried split peas (free through WIC for us)
celery
leek
crush garlic
1 potato
parsley (fresh is ideal but dried is fine
2 bay leafs
oragano
salt and pepper
about 6 cups of water (I pretty much fill the pot)

combine all ingredients cool low about 8 hours serve (remove bay leaf)

we serve with buttered Yams and cranberries :yum

Deanna

Mothering by Heart
12-01-2006, 08:48 PM
The BBQ chicken sandwiches are really good with french fried onions on them :shifty

GodChick
12-02-2006, 07:36 PM
AWSOME! I love the recipes with the big ol' bag o' chicken breasts!! :rockon

Gentle Journey
12-02-2006, 08:12 PM
I also do a whole chicken with a bottle of BBQ sauce

1 can of mushroom soup and a cup of sour cream over chicken breasts. Left over sauce is excellent on rice

Cheyenne
12-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Do you thaw the frozen chicken breasts before putting them in the crockpot? I hope that's not a stupid question. :O

milkmommy
12-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Do you thaw the frozen chicken breasts before putting them in the crockpot? I hope that's not a stupid question. :O

When I do them I never do almost all my meat meals are crock pot cause we realy eat meat and I always forget to take it "out" to thaw :P~

Deanna

freshwaterfish
12-02-2006, 08:25 PM
:popcorn I love my crockpot... gonna file this for later reference! :tu

I have a yummy lentil stew that I do in the crockpot, and whip up a batch of fresh biscuits to serve with it... :yum

Gentle Journey
12-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Sometimes I thaw, sometimes I don't. My slowcooker cooks faster than what most recipies say. So, if I want to start it at 9am, I'd use frozen. At noon I'd use thawed. I often thaw in my microwave.

herbalwriter
12-03-2006, 02:48 PM
My crockpot cooks chicken too fast if it's not frozen first, so that's just fine with me b/c I don't have to thaw it first!

April, I would love that lentil stew recipe.

Thanks for posting these! Great thread, Mama Piadosa! :tu

DogwoodMama
12-05-2006, 07:21 AM
I was looking for a frozen chicken breast recipe, so I'm trying the teriyaki chicken one. :) Question- I used 2 large breasts and added about half the bottle of teriyaki sauce- is that enough sauce? I didn't want to overwhlem it...

Also, how long before dinner is served do I throw in the brocolli & pineapple?

Thanks! :)

Sarai
12-05-2006, 08:17 AM
These sound GREAT! I am trying one this week....now just to decide *which* one....yum :yum.

Dana Joy
12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
I was looking for a frozen chicken breast recipe, so I'm trying the teriyaki chicken one. :) Question- I used 2 large breasts and added about half the bottle of teriyaki sauce- is that enough sauce? I didn't want to overwhlem it...

Also, how long before dinner is served do I throw in the brocolli & pineapple?

Thanks! :)

As long as some of the breasts are covered I think it is enough- it turns more liquidy as it cooks- I put the brocolli and pineapples in 15 minutes before and turn it up to high.

herbalwriter
12-06-2006, 06:40 PM
I put frozen chicken breasts in the cp, some soy sauce (maybe 1/4 c for 2 breasts), and a small can of mandarin oranges (or less than a can if I have some leftover in the fridge), some garlic powder, some powdered ginger, and leave on low 6 hours. Canned pineapple works, too. :yum

freshwaterfish
12-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Lentil stew recipe (made it yesterday :yum)

5 cups water
2 t bouillon powder
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 t ground sage
1/4 t ground red pepper
1/2 cup diced onion (I sometimes use red onion for variety and color)
1 cup diced potato
1/2 cup diced bell pepper (red is prettier)
1/2 cup diced celery (optional)
1 cup dried lentils or split peas
1 cup diced sausage or ham (optional)

Throw all ingredients in crockpot except for the meat. Bring to a boil on high, turn down to low and simmer for 6-8 hours. Add meat about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy with homemade biscuits/scones/dinner rolls... :yum :yum :yum

herbalwriter
12-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Sounds yummy!
What flavor boullion? and red or green lentils?

freshwaterfish
12-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Sounds yummy!
What flavor boullion? and red or green lentils?

I usually use chicken, but vegetable or beef would work fine too... Any kind of lentil, or split peas even, is good... I actually use a dry lentil, bean and barley soup mix and it is AWESOME! :grin :tu I've made it with lentils and split peas (not together) and both were :yum

herbalwriter
12-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Mmmmm mmm! Thank you so much for that recipe. I was wondering if I could use the red lentils...that's why I was asking; ds won't eat green lentils (texture), but the red ones cook into a puree and he loves that. :yum

furrysmommy
12-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Umm yeah it's called shop-n-save in the freezer section. They have chicken and dumplins. beef stew, past with vegies and meat sauce, redpotatoes with chicken and I forgot the other one. :cool

freshwaterfish
12-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Mmmmm mmm! Thank you so much for that recipe. I was wondering if I could use the red lentils...that's why I was asking; ds won't eat green lentils (texture), but the red ones cook into a puree and he loves that. :yum

Let me know how you like it if you end up trying it... :grin

herbalwriter
12-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Oky doky! :)

Sarai
12-11-2006, 11:02 AM
These sound GREAT! I am trying one this week....now just to decide *which* one....yum :yum.

Dana- I tried the teriyaki chicken recipe yesterday- it was delicious! Thanks again for posting these!

Lady Grey
12-11-2006, 02:30 PM
1 can of mushroom soup and a cup of sour cream over chicken breasts. Left over sauce is excellent on rice

We are trying this one today! I added a little garlic powder to the sauce.

TulipMama
12-31-2006, 05:21 PM
aprilmae, I was just about to ask you for the lentil soup recipe!

anitajoye
01-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Here's another lentil recipe. Its an original...
If you want to ommit the chicken its still Delicious and super low cost.
http://www.recipezaar.com/85865

herbalwriter
01-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow, that *does* look really good! :yum Funny, I was in the store today eyeing the chicken boullion cubes and granules, thinking, I should get some of those...but not sure why. :giggle Budget was too tight so I didn't. But next time! :mrgreen

mommylove
02-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm a vegetarian, but DH loves this one.

Cranberry Chicken
3 or 4 frozen, boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/4 c Catalina salad dressing
cornstarch to thicken, optional

Place chicken on the bottom of crockpot. Drizzle with Catalina dressing & dump the can of cranberry sauce on top. I use a knife or spoon to break up the sauce a bit. Cover & cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2 hours or so. (Note: my crockpot cooks faster than most recipes, so adjust the cooking time to fit yours.) Optional: if you want to thicken the sauce, remove the chicken & stir in a tbsp or so of cornstarch dissolved in cool water. Turn cooker to high for 10 minutes or so. Serve over rice.

illinoismommy
05-05-2007, 08:05 AM
ok im going to get chicken to make these :)

anitajoye
05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Cranberry chicken is delish!
I recommend you serve it with rice! YUM!

BKMommy
07-27-2007, 12:50 AM
When you say cover with bbq or teriakyi do you add water too??

tnaallen
07-30-2007, 12:17 PM
teryaki chicken
put chicken (ussually the big frozen bag of breasts) in crockpot, cover with teryaki sauce- cook for 6-8 hours on low add frozen brocoli and a can of pineapples 15 minutes before serving- serve on rice

Dana - do I have to drain the pineapple first or should I put the juice in too?

Dana Joy
07-30-2007, 12:25 PM
i don't add water- cooking all day tends to liquify the stuff more
i do put the pineapple juice in though- because i am a pineapple maniac

mom2jolakeil
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
subscribing :shifty

tnaallen
08-01-2007, 09:14 AM
I did the teriyaki chicken two nights ago and it was SOOO yum! Thanks!

I also did the bbq chicken one last night, but used a beef roast instead so we could have bbq beef sandwhiches. WOW! THey were soooo good. The meat was just falling apart. My dh, who likes meat but not alot of it, was going back just for bowls full of beef. lol!

AND I now have both leftovers in my freezer for another meal.

Ok, now I'm hubngry and want to go defrost them. :shifty

Michelle-Lea
08-01-2007, 09:38 AM
That chicken teriyaki sounds wonderful. I'll have to try it. :)

Here's a couple of our favorites..

Pork Roast
Put your pork roast in the CP and cover it with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a package of brown gravy and let cook all day. Take the roast out and add about a cup of sour cream. Great served with egg noodles or mashed taters.

Tacos
Add 2 pounds groud turkey to the CP (uncooked) along with 2 packages of taco mix, and 1 cup shredded veggies (I combo carrots, onion, bell pepper and spinach). Cook about 4 hours until turkey is done.

Chili
Add 1 pound of ground turkey to the CP (uncooked). Add in 3 cans chili beans, 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, 1/2c shredded carrots, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper..cook all day on low. This is really good leftover on baked taters or even spaghetti!

Creamy Italian Chicken
Put frozen chicky boobs in the CP. Cover with a can of cream of chicken soup, 1TBSP minced garlic and a package of italian dressing mix. Cook all day on low. Take chicken out and add a block of cream cheese. Dissovle and melt around. Put boobs back in and cook 30 minutes longer to soak up the juice. Again..really good with egg noodles or rice.

tnaallen
08-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Ok - so many recipes for CP's call for cans of condensed coup (chicken, celery, mushroom.....). Is there an alternative to Campbells? I don't buy those anymore because they have MSG (a cancer fertilizer), but can't find any other "condensed" brands. And how do I compensate with a noncondensed kind? I've tried and, of course, it was very liquidy.

BeckaBlue
08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
i put a roast in, add veggies, 2-3 bullion cubes on tops, and 1/4-1/2C of water, cook high about 6-7hrs, give or take

and ive been using that bbq chicken recipe for awhile :yum i really should make it again sometime....maybe on saturday

herbalwriter
08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Ok - so many recipes for CP's call for cans of condensed coup (chicken, celery, mushroom.....). Is there an alternative to Campbells? I don't buy those anymore because they have MSG (a cancer fertilizer), but can't find any other "condensed" brands. And how do I compensate with a noncondensed kind? I've tried and, of course, it was very liquidy.

I think I have a recipe for making your own substitute for condensed soups...PM me if you'd like so I don't clutter the thread. :)

MoongardenMama
08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
...about the condensed soup thing...you could take a cup of whatever other kind of soup you are using and whisk in a Tbsp or two of flour or cornstarch? ...that MSG thing is good to know. What alternative soup *are* you using btw?

BKMommy
08-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I so didn't know that about Campbell's. Is it all their soup or just the condensed ones? Which ones do you use?

herbalwriter
08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Campbell's Healthy Request line does not have MSG. But it has enough sodium to kill a camel.

BKMommy
08-01-2007, 07:33 PM
So what brand do you use?

tnaallen
08-01-2007, 09:07 PM
:giggle I see alot of you asking. Too funny. Well, embarassingly enough, I don't remember. I don't have any in the pantry right now, and I don't remember the name. BUT if anyone is familiar with Henrys/Wild Oats stores, it's the only noncondensed ones they have. :O :shrug Healthy something? maybe not. It's not campbells or a main name. It may even be organic since it was the only option at the store for cream of celery and cream of chicken. :scratch

Next time I'm out I will look.

illinoismommy
08-03-2007, 03:27 PM
gringa chicken burritos
put black beans and chicken (ussually the big frozen bag of breasts) in crockpot, cover with canned enchilada sauce- cook for 6-8 hours on low. serve on tortillas with cheese

lol I made this yesterday for the first time only I go them mixed up with one of the others mentioned and i served the chicken with the black beans on rice.... it was good that way though too :lol

Michelle-Lea
08-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Tonight's Dinner..

MuShu Chicken Wraps (from Family Fun quick dinners cookbook)

4 boneless chicken breasts
1 onion, sliced
1c hoisen sauce
2TBSP honey
1/4tsp ground ginger

Put sliced onion in crockpot, lay chicken over it and cook on low until done and tender. Take out chicken and shred. Return chicken to CP. Mix hoisen sauce, honey and ginger together. Pour over chicken and mix. Serve on tortillas with coleslaw mix.

Strumbelina
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
subbing

illinoismommy
08-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Another good one for getting rid of cans of beans :giggle... a few more ingredients, but still pretty cheap.

Taco Soup
1 can pinto beans, undrained (original recipe calls for kidney, but I think it should be pinto)
1 can corn, drained
1 large (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained (recipe calls for crushed, but whatever)

Great with shredded cheese and sour cream on top, served with Jiffy corn muffins. Yum.

i made this last night and its good, a lot like chili really :tu

Marsha
09-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I made the teriyaki chicken the other day. Well, actually this is what I did. I put in the frozen chicken breasts, added 1/4 cup of soy sauce and thought it looked too dry, so I opened the pineapple and dumped a little of the juice in, too.
So, I cooked it for approximately 8 hours.
And that was the DRIEST chicken bar none. Now, maybe I should have cooked it less. But do you think adding the pineapple juice made it drier or something?
I did put the leftover chicken in a salad and it was yummy, so I am using it.
Just wondered. Next time I'll try actual teriyaki sauce LOL.

illinoismommy
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
:lol well when I made it I put teriyaki sauce and then added water so that it had something to boil off as it cooked

but I don't really like teriyaki flavoring, I'm more of a south west or mexican flavor kinda gal.... so it was all right but not my fav

HummusDip
01-05-2008, 11:29 AM
*bowing down*

Thank you for this thread! I just got my meal planning done for the week and I'm sure I'll be coming back to this thread regularly until I write these down. WONDERFUL recipes!

ziggyplaid
01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
great thread! (subbing) :)

Dove*
01-08-2008, 08:40 PM
:popcorn

HummusDip
01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
That chicken teriyaki sounds wonderful. I'll have to try it. :)

Tacos
Add 2 pounds groud turkey to the CP (uncooked) along with 2 packages of taco mix, and 1 cup shredded veggies (I combo carrots, onion, bell pepper and spinach). Cook about 4 hours until turkey is done.

Creamy Italian Chicken
Put frozen chicky boobs in the CP. Cover with a can of cream of chicken soup, 1TBSP minced garlic and a package of italian dressing mix. Cook all day on low. Take chicken out and add a block of cream cheese. Dissovle and melt around. Put boobs back in and cook 30 minutes longer to soak up the juice. Again..really good with egg noodles or rice.

I made these tacos earlier this week and they were AMAZING! I used shredded broccoli, carrots and cabbage in the meat. Yum Yum Yum. Leftovers are already gone too!

I'm making this Creamy Italian Chicken right now and my whole house smells wonderful! I can already tell it's going to be a BIG hit! Thanks!

Also, with your chili recipe, you say it's great over spaghetti. Do you mean just cook up some noodles and put the chili on top? Or actually cook the noodles and add the spaghetti sauce THEN add the chili on top? I've never tried that before but it sounds really good too!

By the way, if I haven't already said it, this is my favorite thread EVER! I've cooked so many things off of here and they have all been great! I can't wait to do the teriyaki pineapple chicken either! That's next week! :P~

mummy2boys
02-17-2008, 05:36 PM
These receipes are great :yes Here are a few we use at home

Corn Beef:

Ingredients:

Corn beef
English or Australian mustard
vinegar
water
1 onion chopped into quarters

Method:

Rinse corn beef, put into slow cooker fat side up. Cover the fat with 1 to 2 tablespoons of mustard. Fill the slow cooker up with water so that it covers half of the corn beef. Add a decent splash of vinegar to the water and the onion.

Slow cook all day..

Don't eat the onion - as it will absorb all the juice.. It is only added to help with flavour

Easy Peasy Stew

Ingredients:

1 Kilo of meat pieces (any cut - cheaper is usually the best)
1/2 packet of mixed country vegetables
1 large tin of condensed tomato soup
1 onion diced
Pepper and herbs of choice

Method:

Place all ingredients in slow cooker early in the day - cook on slow until evening!

EASY!

Apricot Chicken:

Ingredients:

1 onion sliced
1 large tin of apricot halves
1 packet of onion soup mix
1 kilo of chicken drumsticks

Directions:

Combine all ingredients into slow cooker and cool all day. Alternatively you can put the cooker on late at night just before bed, then can eat at lunch time.

SPKarenO
02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
I highly recommend Goosberry Patch Our Favorite Slow-Cooker Recipe book. Its a small spiral bound and has a TON of recipes, meals, sides, desserts. I've made lots and lots of them and they are ALL fantastic and easy. Amazon has it for $8.

HummusDip
03-31-2008, 02:54 PM

Taco Soup
1 can corn, drained

Anyone make this with the ranch dressing mix? Does that add a lot of flavor? I'm wondering if I should omit that too or put it in there? :shrug

HummusDip
03-31-2008, 03:01 PM

My co-op sells an organic brand that has some of these. I can't think of the brand for anything! :doh

illinoismommy
03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
this is the best food thread ever, a lot of recipes on this one got added to my permanent meal plan :lol

bananacake
04-01-2008, 06:17 PM
:cup :cookie

naturallia
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I'll add more when I have time, but I'd LOVE to see more that does NOT have tomatoes in it... my DS is allergic. :doh

HummusDip
04-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Taco Soup
1 can corn, drained

Anyone make this with the ranch dressing mix? Does that add a lot of flavor? I'm wondering if I should omit that too or put it in there? :shrug

Ok so I made this a few days ago and the entire pot is GONE!!!!! We finished it off last night and it is so so soooooooooooo good!

I did a few things differently though. First of all, I used dry beans. And I used TONS of them. We like our soups to be thick and not soupy at all. I didn't measure but basically if you put a spoon in there you'd get by far mostly beans. Because the dry beans aren't seasoned, I felt the soup needed 2 taco seasoning packets. I also didn't use the ranch dressing mix either. I also added some chili powder and lots of salt. Oh! And I cooked mine on the stove, not in the crock pot. I just browned the ground turkey and onion together and then threw it in the pot with all the other ingredients.

Seriously this soup is amazing, especially the day after. My dh said it's his favorite of any I've cooked. So this is now a regular for us! And it was cheap to make!

illinoismommy
04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm making that for dinner today, ironically, but we call it taco chili.... its too thick to call it soup here... I don't use olives or ranch dressing

naturallia
04-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Tarragon Chicken

4 chicken breast halves (w/ bone and skin)
1 can condensed cream of wild mushroom soup
2 t dried tarragon

Mix all in slowcooker. HIGH 2 hours or LOW 5 hours.

Salsa Chicken

1 14 oz jar high quality Mexican salsa
2 TB brown sugar
1 t Dijon
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Mix all in slowcooker, cook on high 1 hour, then low 4-5 more hours.

Serve on bed of rice .

Cranberry Chicken

Chicken quarters, skin removed
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
½ c honey garlic sauce

Chicken in slowcooker, mix sauces together and slather on chicken. Cook LOW 6 hours or HIGH 3 hours.

Chicken Breast Parmesan

Chicken broth
4 chicken breast halves w/ skin and bone
¼ c bottled oil-based Caesar salad dressing
2 T Italian seasoning
¼ c Parmesan cheese

1. pour enough broth into slowcooker to make it ¼ inch deep
2. Brush chicken with dressing, sprinkle with seasoning and cheese.
3. Place in slow cooker
4. LOW 5 hours

Chicken Adobo

4 halved and sliced onjons
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 t black peppercorns
8 skinless chicken thighs
½ c rice vinegar
½ c soy sauce
1 T sugar
steamed rice for serving

Spread half the onions in bottom of slow cooker. Add 2 garlic cloves and peppercorns. Arrage chicken in single layer on top of onions. Top with remaining onions, garlic. Drizzle with the vinegar and soy sauce over all and sprinkle with the sugar.

Cook on high heat for 4 hours. Divide steamed rice among dishes and top with chicken. Spoon the juices from slow cooker over all and serve.

milkmommy
04-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I'll add more when I have time, but I'd LOVE to see more that does NOT have tomatoes in it... my DS is allergic. :doh

We do a lot of see what we have toss it in the crock pot meals :shifty some chicken potatos carrots an onion and corn for example we don't use tomato much because fresh are soo expensive boxed are also pricy and hard to find and we are trying to limit caned..

Deanna

ziggyplaid
04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't have an official "recipe" but one of the easiest things I do in the crockpot is throw a whole roaster chicken in there, put a few pats of butter on top, add some poultry seasoning (or other favorite seasoning) and cook it all day. It is so darn tender and delicious! The butter really makes it extra delicious, I think.

mom2threegirls
04-14-2008, 04:56 PM

I usually will use a cup of broth mixed up, and thicken it with some cornstarch. I up the other flavors to make up for the lack of flavor (er, salt ;)) from the soup. The other day I added a little sour cream and that was nice in addition to the thickened broth. I did a search online and found a LOT of websites with ideas but most want you to do something fairly elaborate- the thickened broth is super easy and works :tu. It's frusturating how SOOO many crockpot recipes call for the cream of soups- they're so horrible for you.

bananacake
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't have an official "recipe" but one of the easiest things I do in the crockpot is throw a whole roaster chicken in there, put a few pats of butter on top, add some poultry seasoning (or other favorite seasoning) and cook it all day. It is so darn tender and delicious! The butter really makes it extra delicious, I think.

Does the skin get crispy if you do it this way?

Sign Of The Fish Burger
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Awesome thread! Some of our favorites.

Mom's BBQ Beef Sammies

Boneless Chuck roast
1 c barbecue sauce
1/2 c apricot preserves
2 Tbsp red or green bell pepper-- chopped
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp brown sugar -- packed
1 small onion -- sliced

Throw it all in the cp on low for 7-8 hours, remove the roast, cut it into slices and then put back into the sauce for 20ish mins on high. This is seriously one of my husbands absolute favorites... he requests it often.

Easy Peasy chicken cacciatore

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
2 green bell pepper, chopped
Fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, finely diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic

Put the chicken in the slow cooker. Top with the spaghetti sauce, green bell peppers, mushrooms, onion and garlic Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.

Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 package reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
1 c salsa
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 c light sour cream

Add chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and salsa. Cover and cook for on low for 6ish hours. Right before serving remove the chicken and add the cornstarch with a little bit of water into the mixture, stir well. Finally add the sour cream.

And just for fun, hot fudge chocolate cake :giggle
3 c skim milk
1 box sugar free cook and serve chocolate pudding
1 box Super Moist chocolate fudge cake mix
1 1/3 c water
1/2 c applesauce
6 egg whites

Spray your cp with cooking spray, Whisk skim milk with dry pudding mix in crockpot until dissolved. In a medium bowl, mix dry cake mix, water, applesauce and egg whites with whisk for two minutes until blended. Very gently pour cake mixture over pudding mixture. DO NOT MIX! Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours. Serve hot.

Enjoy ladies!

tempus vernum
08-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Awesome recipes - I have a few to add

the first I am almost POSITIVE I got on GCM but can't find it here so I apologize to the originator of the recipe

Crockpot mexi chicken

Frozen boneless chicken breasts
1 can Corn
1 Can black beans
1 jar salsa

Vary amount of can(s) to fully cover the amount of breast you are using. Can use non-frozen breast but it works with frozen too.

Cook all day in the crockpot on low. Be sure the chicken is cooked thru. Then add a block of cream cheese cut up and cook another 1/2 hour until melted.

*however, I don't do cream cheese as we don't usually have it so I just serve it with sour cream on the side :)

Beef N Gravy

1 lb (more or less) steak , stew meat or roast cut up into chunks
1 can cr of mush soup or 8 ounces sour cream
1 envelope onion soup mix
Mix all ingredients in crock pot cover,cook on low 8 - 10 hrs or until tender...serve over noodles, rice or mashed potato...

Cream soup recipe -- We don't use canned soup either

Here's the recipe I use for one can equivalent:
3T butter
3T flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup broth

Melt butter. Blend in flour and salt and cook until bubbly over med heat. Whisk in liquid and continue stirring until smooth and thickened.

You can add 1/2 c cheese for cream of cheese, saute 1/4 c. chopped mushroom and a little onion in butter for cream o' mush, saute 1/2 c celery and little onion for cream o' celery and the above with just chick broth is cream o' chick.

we also don't use onion soup mix

dry onion soup recipe (good for dips too)
2 t beef boullion
2 T minced onions (dry or raw)
1 t onion poweder

Crock Pot Pizza
12 oz pkg of wide egg noodles
1 ½ lb of ground beef or turkey
28 oz of spaghetti sauce
1tsp Italian seasonings
Pepperoni (optional)
3 cups Mozzarella cheese
3 cups Cheddar cheese
Cook noodles, In large skillet cook beef stir in sauce and add seasonings. Grease 5 quart crock pot Layer meat sauce, noodles pepperoni, 1/3 of cheese repeat
Cover cook on low for 3 hours….
I divided this in 2 casserole dishes and it fed our family of 5...most everyone had seconds and some thirds! If cooked in the oven cook at 350 for about 45 minutes….maybe less if at room temp?

herbalwriter
08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Jodi, those look great - and thanks for the substitutions! I don't do canned or dry soup mixes either. That was very helpful.

And Sign of the Fish - that cake sounds so good...TOO good!! :giggle

wannabemommy
09-17-2008, 07:45 PM
i do a lot of things in the crockpot but i am going to give you my secret recipe...dont share it LOL this recipe is begged for everytime i make it. I take a pork shoulder and poke holes with a knife all over and then i take liquid smoke and pour it over about 1/4 cup or so then i generously salt it with sea salt i would say at least a good handful then fat side up i put it in the crock pot i use one that takes up my entire crock pot so i actually will put tin foil and then the lid i put it on and leave it all day its ready when it literally is falling apart. then pull the chunk of fat off the top, shred the meat off the bone (easy to do) and serve with boiled jasmine rice. I cant tell you how many parties ive made this for. Its easy, makes the house smell great and tastes sooooooooooo good. You can serve the left overs with bbq sauce on buns for a 2nd meal and if there is any left after that which usually there isnt you can make a quick pork stew w/potatos,carrots,peas etc.

good eats

tinyheaths
01-16-2009, 03:36 PM
I made the Gringa Chicken it was a HIT. It totally saved dinner tonight since I had forgot to defrost.

happyhousewife
02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Awesome thread! Some of our favorites.

Mom's BBQ Beef Sammies

Boneless Chuck roast
1 c barbecue sauce
1/2 c apricot preserves
2 Tbsp red or green bell pepper-- chopped
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp brown sugar -- packed
1 small onion -- sliced

Throw it all in the cp on low for 7-8 hours, remove the roast, cut it into slices and then put back into the sauce for 20ish mins on high. This is seriously one of my husbands absolute favorites... he requests it often.

Easy Peasy chicken cacciatore

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
2 green bell pepper, chopped
Fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, finely diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic

Put the chicken in the slow cooker. Top with the spaghetti sauce, green bell peppers, mushrooms, onion and garlic Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.

Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 package reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
1 c salsa
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 c light sour cream

Add chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and salsa. Cover and cook for on low for 6ish hours. Right before serving remove the chicken and add the cornstarch with a little bit of water into the mixture, stir well. Finally add the sour cream.

And just for fun, hot fudge chocolate cake :giggle
3 c skim milk
1 box sugar free cook and serve chocolate pudding
1 box Super Moist chocolate fudge cake mix
1 1/3 c water
1/2 c applesauce
6 egg whites

Spray your cp with cooking spray, Whisk skim milk with dry pudding mix in crockpot until dissolved. In a medium bowl, mix dry cake mix, water, applesauce and egg whites with whisk for two minutes until blended. Very gently pour cake mixture over pudding mixture. DO NOT MIX! Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours. Serve hot.

Enjoy ladies!

I made this chocolate cake tonight and oh.my.goodness!!! It is just too yummy!!! I cant stop eating it!!! I served it with a little whipped cream and it was delish!

THANKS!

tinyheaths
03-02-2009, 05:51 AM
I made this last night and my picky DH actually liked it. He doesn't like cooked spinachh :sigh Even my five yo dd ate it up :rockon

We made crock pot "lasagna" for dinner super easy
1) package frozen cheese ravioli
2) one pack frozen or fresh spinach
3) Jar of chunky garden spaghetti sauce (about 28oz)
4) 2 cups mozzarella cheese
layer ingredients sauce ravoli sauce cheese in crock pot cook on low about 3-4 hours
This recpie ussually cost us around $6 and will easily make 8-10 good servings

Deanna

CakeLady
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm totally reviving this thread cuz I'm on the hunt for new and exciting CP dishes as well as ones that cook up quickly.

I can't wait to give a lot of these a try. :yum

SilverMoon
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm totally reviving this thread cuz I'm on the hunt for new and exciting CP dishes as well as ones that cook up quickly.

I can't wait to give a lot of these a try. :yum

Thanks for doing that! I'm reading this thread and getting ideas for my super picky family.

TrinMama
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
subbing!

graciousmomma
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
We tried the teriyaki chicken...it was delicious:D

lisajones1121
10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
these sound great!

GlacierLily
11-14-2009, 12:38 PM
:grin i wanted to bump this and say thank you these sound so yummy!

CapeTownMommy
11-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Subbing - my crockpot was the greatest thing ever in the postpartum time last time.

KnittingHappy
04-19-2010, 06:04 AM
I just found this thread and am quite excited!

My favorite CP meal, although it takes some prep work is Ham w/ scalloped potatoes.

I use 2 ham steaks, each cut in half
sliced potatoes
sliced onions
cream of mushroom soup (2-3 can depending on how creamy you like it)
cheddar cheese (2 cups)

I just layer in the crockpot till I run out of room (I'm usually pressing it down because I'm bad at estimating and cut too many potatoes). I cook it on low about 9-10 hours.

CrunchySeaSalt
04-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Thanks, I am drooling :giggle

Now I have a bit of a grocery list, I am excited for a few of these since I have felt too lazy to cook some days :clap

tinyheaths
04-30-2010, 04:31 AM
This is so good and super easy.
http://thehappyhousewife.com/bbq-pork-in-the-crock-pot/

Lady TS
05-08-2010, 06:07 AM
This is so good and super easy.
http://thehappyhousewife.com/bbq-pork-in-the-crock-pot/

Ooh, I am liking that! I like the ease of bbq sauce over meat in the crockpot...but don't necessarily like that most BBQ sauces have high fructose corn syrup.

Putting this one in my list of things to try!

jennyjq8
06-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I need to use my Crockpot more, and this thread has given me a lot of great ideas! Thank you! I don't really have any to share, but if I get any good recipes, I will post too.

Indigo
07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ This is a fantastic crockpot recipe blog! I have made a ton of her recipes and enjoyed them all.

Right now I am cooking a ham/carrots/pineapple concoction. I did a layer of sliced carrots w/a little butter & honey, a layer of ham slices, and then fresh sliced pineapple on top. And, I'm cooking it outside on the deck since it is close to 100 degrees here today and my crockpot throws off so much heat!!!

tinyheaths
08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Here is a new one I found.
1# browned ground beef (from freezer)
2 cans spaghetti sauce
almost a box of spaghetti noodles

Put meat, noodles broken up, and sauce in crocpot stir cook about three hours on high.:heart

Ajani
08-03-2010, 07:13 AM
I love putting browned chicken parts, browned sausages (Italian are a favourite, but use anything you like), fresh herbs like thyme, some garlic and onion and a bottle of beer in the crock pot. I let it go all day. By supper time everything is infused with flavour. The broth itself is my meal. It's AMAZING! I enjoy it with crusty bread and some strong cheddar. The chicken and sausage are also tasty and make a couple of meals through the week.

Fallin2Grace
01-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Wow! this is amazing! I can't wait to write these ingredients down, go shopping, and make this stuff! I can't offer any recepies as i am no Betty Crocker, but i am excited to learn some new stuff so :ty3

momyshaver
01-08-2011, 08:54 PM
:cup ... for ideas

GentleMomof4
01-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Crockpot chicken:
1 whole chicken (or package of any chicken if you don't want to deal with bones)
Seasoning: salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder

Put chicken in crockpot, sprinkle liberally with season. 6-8 hours on low, 3-5 hours on high.

Variations:
For an asian twist, add ground ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, & chili sauce (if you like some heat). Shred & serve with noodles or rice.

For a mexican twist, add ground cumin, chili powder, red pepper flake, ground cayenne (depending on how spicy you want it), splash of tobasco. Shred & serve with warm tortillas or corn chips and whatever sides you like.

high speed wobble
01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I do a crockpot lasagna too. I LOVE the idea using the frozen ravioli. I will have to do this. But I just do a traditional lasagna like you would do in the oven, just break your uncooked pasta to fit. It was soooo much easier to make that way and it was perfectly cooked. Much less mess not to mention. We always use cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Just a personal pref. I'll deff. try to make it w/the ravioli though!

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Has anyone used their crockpot for dessert? I know it can be done, but I have yet to try it. Any ideas for that or for side dishes also not just main dishes?

ReedleBeetle
01-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Didn't read the replied yet, but I like making a barbecue pulled pork (or chicken) in the crockpot over 24 hours and then toasting buns and loading sandwiches with it. YUM! The pork will just fall apart by the end.

DragonfliiMama
01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Anyone got any good vegetarian recipes? Or can I substitute fake meats the same as if I was cooking on a stove?

jewelmcjem
01-13-2011, 08:20 AM
SUB!!!

I have run out of crockpot ideas, these are great.

Ajani
01-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I make a veg chili by substituting cubed eggplant and zucchini along with bulgur and lentils. Works great in the crockpot if you sautee the veggies with garlic and onion until soft first.

OneLove
01-13-2011, 07:04 PM
I made the taco soup that was mentioned on the first page and it was DELICIOUS! DH really liked it :D So simple yet pretty healthy. Thanks!

high speed wobble
01-21-2011, 09:23 AM
this sounds great! Definetally going to try this one out on my family! We love Mexican food, but never had it as a soup.

ProudMommaof2
01-21-2011, 09:43 AM
:popcorn You can never have too many CP recipes!

The Tickle Momster
01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Anyone got any good vegetarian recipes? Or can I substitute fake meats the same as if I was cooking on a stove?
I made crock pot falafel the other night. 3 of us loved it. Super easy.

It's from someone here. Here's (http://gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=256504&highlight=crockpot+falafel) the link.

gpsings
01-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Garlic chicken
2 pounds of chick (I use legs and thighs)
1 onion
1 whole bulb of garlic (approx 20 cloves)
1tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp oil

slice onion into 'rings' and layer on the bottom of cp
mix oil and seasonings and coat chicken pieces. Lay them over the onions.
break up garlic into cloves, but you don't need to peel them. Leaving them in the paper is fine.
cook on low for 8 hours.
SOOOOO yummy. Even the kids like it, and the garlic is amazing. Totally cheap too. :D

jewelmcjem
01-24-2011, 07:49 AM
The chicken burritos were a HIT, even with the picky-pants eaters. The BBQ, 4 liked, 2 didn't -- one thought she'd like them, but they were too messy "Mom, this just chicken sloppy joes!" ROFL, so she'll get a fork and an un-shredded one next time!

gardentender
02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Easy stroganoff:

Stew meat
sliced onion
sliced garlic
Cook on low all day
The last hour, add sliced mushrooms and turn to high to cook them. Add sour cream the last few minutes and heat.

OR

Chimichanga or burrito meat

Instead of adding mushrooms/sour cream, add green chiles and other spices of your preference. You'll just have larger chunks of meat...

delightedmama
04-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Any bean recipes for the crockpot?

high speed wobble
04-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I didn't have time to look through the whole thread, but are there any lentil recipes? Trying them for the first time and would like a good recipe.Thanks!

CJNeeley
04-28-2011, 07:23 AM
This was a great thread to discover. I need to use my crockpot more on busy days and days we need to leave the house early/near dinner--like Weds. Already picked one to try and haven't even finished reading thru the thread :heart

mummy2boys
04-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Great thread :smile I use my slow cooker /crockpot all the time and its a life saver.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Any bean recipes for the crockpot?

Hers is one posted early on by Bonnie :

Taco Soup
1 can corn, drained

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

I didn't have time to look through the whole thread, but are there any lentil recipes? Trying them for the first time and would like a good recipe.Thanks!

Here is one posted by freshwaterfish:

Lentil stew recipe (made it yesterday )

5 cups water
2 t bouillon powder
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 t ground sage
1/4 t ground red pepper
1/2 cup diced onion (I sometimes use red onion for variety and color)
1 cup diced potato
1/2 cup diced bell pepper (red is prettier)
1/2 cup diced celery (optional)
1 cup dried lentils or split peas
1 cup diced sausage or ham (optional)

Throw all ingredients in crockpot except for the meat. Bring to a boil on high, turn down to low and simmer for 6-8 hours. Add meat about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy with homemade biscuits/scones/dinner rolls...

daughteroftheking3
09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
I know this is a older post,but I just thought I would say , thank you all for all of the lovely recipes. It really helped me out this week. Cooking is not my specialty,but each meal I prepare gets better each time! Thanks again!

dulce de leche
10-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Me, too! I have been using my crock pot a lot and loving it.