PDA

View Full Version : *My first attempt at a "Mama skirt"* -second attempt added

Aisling
10-29-2006, 09:28 AM
After drooling over hippie skirts I couldn't afford, I decided to try my hand at it...my first clothes sewing attempt :nails I'm a little nervous about showing it, there are so many gifted seamstresses here, but what the heck! :giggle Here it is. I still need to stitch around the edges of the leaf applique, and it's going to have to be hand stitching. :O Fortunately, I only used leftover fabrics and a yard from the clearance bin, so it cost all of $7 :P~ The first version was sooo full, but it didn't do my hips any favors, so I cut it way down. Anyway...my first attempt.

(my top half's not in the pic because I just rolled out of bed :giggle)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/mamadoula_/10-29-06006.jpg

LauraK
10-29-2006, 09:33 AM
I think it looks great!!! I am impressed you did patchwork and an aplique for your first attempt. Very nice!!

Aisling
10-29-2006, 09:37 AM
:O thanks. I've actually quilted a very little bit (a grand total of two)...I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make the aplique look "attached", and I really want to put a cute wooden button on the pocket. But first I need to learn how to do button holes :doh **Off to find a copy of "Sewing for Dummies"** :lol

Six Little Feet
10-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Great job Ashley!!!!!!

Maggie
10-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Looks great!! :tu

freshwaterfish
10-29-2006, 09:45 AM
:tu Love it! My stepmom makes "hippie" skirts too, and she often adds beads to the bottom, which I love! :heart You can buy a "roll" of them at most craft or sewing stores... I think it really adds a neat touch... :hug

PeacefulConviction
10-29-2006, 10:07 AM
wow :tu I love it. you brave brave woman trying to sew, I wish I would dare to do something like that. I have no talent what so ever!

busymomma
10-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Very cute!! I need to try making one :mrgreen

Mama Rophe
10-31-2006, 06:42 PM
I absolutely love it. I think you've just given me the courage to do one myself. :rockon

mummy2boys
10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
That is great :highfive Good job Ashley

me
11-01-2006, 06:16 AM
:tu

klpmommy
11-01-2006, 11:44 AM
that is so cute!

Aisling
11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
here's attempt #2...$6 total on this one. I can't wait to lose my PP love handles for this spring :giggle It's good incentive to exercise :P~

It's still unhemmed at the bottom, so I have to do that and still around the apliques...I was gonna to an African acacia tree, but dh advised me that tulips would look nicer on this one, hehe :giggle (he's a dutch boy from africa, so I guess either way one of his national plants made the cut :lol)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/mamadoula_/11-01-06019.jpg

'scuse my hair. :O this is how it looks "on", but I couldn't get a really decent self-pic
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/mamadoula_/11-01-06001.jpg

klpmommy
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
ok! Now I want to make myself a skirt! so cute!

Aisling
11-01-2006, 11:58 AM
ok! Now I want to make myself a skirt! so cute!

you should :yes :grin It's a great stress reliever :P~ Mine didn't take long..I made it during dd's naptime in the last two days. So, that's like, 3 hours total. (Of course it's nothing fancy, but it made me feel happy :giggle)

Strumbelina
11-01-2006, 12:02 PM
YOU are adorable! :heart
How much sewing experience do you have? I have NONE, zilch. I would love to make a skirt like that, but I don't even own a machine.....how do you get started with something like this? Did you just free-cut the appliques? I love it!

Aisling
11-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I just free handed the appliques...no, scratch that, I actually did a google image search on the leaf on the first one, and then did the cutout from that. :grin

I just got a sewing machine 1.5 years ago (present from dh :heart), and kinda taught myself. (the experienced seamstresses can probably tell :blush :giggle) But after I played around with the tension on my machine for a while and learned how to thread the durn thing, it wasn't nearly as hard as I had imagined :P I'm a sewing dummy, so if I can do it, I'm sure you can :tu

Mama Rophe
11-01-2006, 01:35 PM
I love the skirts.

I love your avatar too. You are all beautiful!!

Aisling
11-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I love the skirts.

I love your avatar too. You are all beautiful!!

Likewise! :D :heart That nursing pic is precious.

Garnet
11-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I love it! Did you do drawstring for the waist or elastic?

LauraK
11-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I LOVE IT. It looks excellent.

Aisling
11-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I love it! Did you do drawstring for the waist or elastic?

right now it's a drawstring made of elastic, but I'm on the prowl for a cute green ribbon or fiber to use...

hiddenhippie6
11-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Ashley you are so darn cute!! They turned out great!!! You mentioned button holes....the BEST way to make them is with an attachment for your machine. If your machine didn't come with one, I think that you can buy them. They make perfect button holes according to your button size and it is all automatic. I think they are the best thing ever. :tu How are you doing the appliques? That has been my one fear. I am not very good at them.

Aisling
11-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Ashley you are so darn cute!! They turned out great!!! You mentioned button holes....the BEST way to make them is with an attachment for your machine. If your machine didn't come with one, I think that you can buy them. They make perfect button holes according to your button size and it is all automatic. I think they are the best thing ever. :tu How are you doing the appliques? That has been my one fear. I am not very good at them.

I think that's the easiest part..I'm tracing or freehanding, and using a permanant bond new-sew material...and then stitching the edges by hand. It'd be better to use a serger (and far less time consuming), but I don'y have one :doh I'm sure other mamas could give some great pointers for apliques :grin

OpalsMom
11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Sergers aren't useful for sewing the edges on the applique after it's on -- they're sometimes used for edge-finishing it before attachment (and then you straight-stitch it on). What you normally do to cover the edges by machine is satin-stitch, setting it to the sort of close-together zigzag that's used for buttonholes. Your machine should do it fine, but it can be tricky to steer. Practice on scraps.

Learnin'2B
11-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Those skirts look great to me! I have no advice to offer you on sewing as I am a rookie. :grin
And ditto on you being adorable!

Aisling
11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Sergers aren't useful for sewing the edges on the applique after it's on -- they're sometimes used for edge-finishing it before attachment (and then you straight-stitch it on). What you normally do to cover the edges by machine is satin-stitch, setting it to the sort of close-together zigzag that's used for buttonholes. Your machine should do it fine, but it can be tricky to steer. Practice on scraps.
Ha! Brilliant! Thanks! :mrgreen (and this is why I post in this forum :dance)

Bwahaha!! I just saw "nosey" :nosy These new emoticons are killing me! :laughtears

bostonsmama
11-01-2006, 05:39 PM
wow, you did a great job!!!!!!!!!!!! and seriously, you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo adorable! if you ever decide to sell your skirts, you should totally be the model for them. you always look so incredibly bubbly and just stinkin cute! :heart

you could get some dmc floss and blanket stitch the edges of the appliques too (after you sew them on) that would look cute and finished. :tu

RubySlippers
11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
That pic is ADORABLE of you and baby! :hug Oh, and the skirts are CUTE! :tu
I'm impressed! :clap

Aisling
11-01-2006, 09:14 PM
oh my goodness, you guys. stop! seriously. I'm totally red :O

PeacefulConviction
11-02-2006, 04:11 AM
:no no stopping you are adorable not to mention your skirt and your little one :heart :heart