PDA

View Full Version : collard greens, green tomatoes... need some good recipes!

joyful mama
10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
I just joined an organic coop :tu. Got some great stuff but don't know what to do with a lot of it :think. (I don't even know what some of it is :O. I'll be taking a pic tomorrow and asking advice)

But what can I do with collard greens and green tomatoes?

we have no allergies that we know of but avoid nuts. We're meat eaters too...

help?

joyful mama
10-19-2006, 09:16 AM
anyone??

Garnet
10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I posted a recipe in here somewhere for green tomato salsa. I'll see if I can find the linky.......also collard greens. I LOVE greens. yum. So here's how I fix em. First I soak them in water with a tablespoon of baking soda, and I give them a swish every now and then. To make sure there's no dirt ( or bugs). Then I soak them in plain water and swish. Then I shake em dry and lay them out on kitchen towels or paper toweling.

Now, if you're vegetarian, you won't like this one. I fry bacon, and sautee and onion. I chop the bacon up in little pieces. I chop the collards up in little peices and I sautee them in the bacon grease( I drain most of it off first.) I eat it that way or, I make a dressing with the leftovers in the pan I sauteed in, and a tablespoon of sugar ( brown or white) and a dash of vinegar ( cider or regular) heat and mix together until you have a dressing, pour over greens and toss.

I also like them sauteed in olive oil and drizzled with Italian dressing.

ETA:
Green Tomato Salsa

as many green tomatoes as you have
2- jalapenos 3-5 depending on how hot you like it
3- cilantro (a must in my herb garden)
4- garlic 2-4 cloves
5- med size onions 1-2
6- small amts basil/oregano

Green tomatoes do not blanche well so I just chop them up and put in a
large sealable bowl. Then wearing rubber gloves, I chop the
peppers,garlic,onions,and herbs. Add to the tomatoes seal bowl and
let marinate for a couple of days. Taste to make sure it's hot
enough for you. Put into freezer containers or freezer bags. Use as
you need,works great in spanish rice,on omelettes, burritoes,etc.

QuiltinGramma
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I've got a great green tomato relish, but don't have time to post it right now.....maybe late tonight when I get home.
:heart

joyful mama
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
thanks! :yum