PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about iPods

Soliloquy
10-16-2006, 06:27 AM
DH wants an iPod for Christmas. I know NOTHING about them--I am more out of "the know" right now than ever before in my life. :lol Anyway, I have to save some $$ to buy one. Should I look on ebay? What features should I get? Remember, I know just about nothing about these gadgets . . .

TIA!

Jillian
10-16-2006, 06:28 AM
:popcorn Perfect timing! My ds wants one for Christmas, too. :grin

Six Little Feet
11-07-2006, 12:45 AM
I have the Nano and I LOVE it!!!!! It think it is the 4gb one....it hold 500ish songs and pics.....

I :heart it

Wonder Woman
11-07-2006, 03:05 AM
my dh has an ipod shuffle we bought from a online friend (:poke thanks Amanda!)

It's the small one, but it still holds several hours of music, which is all he listens to at a time anyway. He honestly didn't want one with a screen - he said it would annoy him to watch something that tiny :giggle

That one can be bought at W*lmart for under $70.

If you want one with a screen I understand the Nano is the best :tu

hey mommy
11-07-2006, 08:10 AM
I have a Nano and I LOVE it! Mine is the smaller one that holds like 200 songs. I have a little over a hundred on it right now. I have a thing that plugs it into the cig. lighter in my car. They have a new Nano that either just came out or will be out soon. So maybe the price of the older version will go down a little. I like the screen on mine b/c I like to see what song is playing or what song is next.

kris10s
11-07-2006, 08:45 AM
The latest generation of iPods (regular, nano and shuffle) has a vast improvement in battery life (and batteries have always been the weakest part of an iPod and caused most of their eventual demise) so I'd make sure you get a new-new one. the apple store has free shipping and you can even get free laser engraving, I think. http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Our iPod is dying (2 years old) hoping the replacement lasts longer!

snlmama
11-07-2006, 08:57 AM
The latest generation of iPods (regular, nano and shuffle) has a vast improvement in battery life

This is good to know. I have a mini, which they don't sell anymore. I was going to rec. getting new w/ a warranty that would cover replacing the battery since mine needed a new battery when it was only a year old. :/ Otherwise I love it. :) I'd def. get new, not used. Not sure about the warrenty if their new ones have better batteries. :shrug

Punkie
11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
:grin Rebecca

I think the best all-around is the Nano - either size. It is big enough to hold the music you need, it has a nice screen, and the new generation ones are really nice (my mom just bought one). Oh, plus you can get the +nike add-on to track your running distance, speed, and mileage, which it totally cool :grin

If you look around, a lot of times you can find places that are giving away Nanos. There's a couple of local banks in our area that are giving them away if you sign up for an account and leave it open for six months. You don't even have to direct deposit or anything :)

pneumaphile
11-07-2006, 10:46 AM
:popcorn

GodisGood
11-07-2006, 11:29 AM
I have a Nano 1000 songs and I almost have it filled :O :giggle

Give a gift certificate for ear plugs, cause I HATED the ones that came from apple. I purchased a different pair that I :heart

Also including a gift cert for iTunes is fun too.

Oh and right now, if you buy this one http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/red/ $10 goes to fight AIDS in Africa. And if you don't care about that it's just a totally cool color. :lol

OneSillyMommy
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
FYI
if your a costco member, ipod's are about $10 cheaper at costco than on the apple website.
We're thinking of buying one for my ds for christmas as well.

tiglet
11-07-2006, 01:57 PM
I had a Nano, and I loved it, but the battery died. It died less than a year after I got it, so I had to spend $30 for shipping to get a new one. If the battery had died more than 1 year after, a "replacement" (not even Apple changes the batteries! What stinkyness is that?) is $59. I've been grumpy to learn that many of my friends have had the same problem. And here I am, without any Nano, for 2 weeks while things go back and forth. (Our local Mac shop can't service iPods.....)

I still wouldn't go a route for a different kind of player ----- *UNLESS* your dh already has a bunch of his music in a different format than one that iTunes converts easily to AAC (Apple's proprietary format). For example, if all your music is already in RealPlayer - getting it into the iPod costs $ for a converter, and I found that I lost sound quality. :(

TulipMama
11-12-2006, 07:15 PM
We have a Creative Zen mp3 player. And while it's only a few months old, I really like it. The drawback that I've seen in having a non-ipod mp3 player is that so many of the accessories (like speakers, car converter, etc) are designed for ipods.