PDA

View Full Version : Quick, snacky protein?

Eowyn
10-15-2006, 12:22 AM
What snacks can I keep with me for some quick protein? The boys and I are usually out and about a lot, and I have a nasty habit of going from fine to hungry in no time flat. I need something I can nibble on for some quick protein.

I cannot have (due to the severity of DH's allergies, and pregnancy and breastfeeding, per our allergist):
Nuts of any kind (pity, I love pistachios)
Legumes (peanuts and beans)
Seeds (sunflower in particular are extremely dangerous for DH)

I'm usually okay with these dietary restrictions, but lately, I've really been missing baklava and peanut butter cups.

What else can I have?

ArmsOfLove
10-15-2006, 12:53 AM
first, that is a very difficult list to avoid completely. What on earth is the purpose of avoiding all legumes??? I can understand peanuts but wow--that makes it hard :think (and if I think it's hard it's really hard ;) ).

Also, I am curious why dairy isn't restricted by the allergist :think

It seems like the only thing you have as an option for protein is meat :shrug Oh, and broccoli and high protein veggies.

and I was :laughtears because every timeI saw your subject line I would think, "Why does she want snarky food???" :shrug

:laughtears

ChristianMother27
10-15-2006, 01:43 AM
what about beef jerky? that's at least dried and you could keep it i n the car or wherever. if it doesn't matter about dried maybe boiled eggs?

emmalouise
10-15-2006, 01:57 AM
If dairy isn't an issue, I'd say milk, cheese or yoghurt.

expatmom
10-15-2006, 02:06 AM
This is one of those "I'm pregnant and I'm hungry NOW & if I don't eat I immediately I will fall to pieces in a large and messy way" requests for snacks, isn't it? I was like that, almost to the point of pushing my kids out of the way as I attacked the fridge when we returned home from an outing, because I knew I couldn't respond well to anything until I ate.

In that vein, I'd suggest getting some easy to grab string cheese & non-refridgeration needed chocolate milk (usually in juice box containers) that you can keep on hand at all times. Also, I found some very grainy crackers also seemed to curb the hunger pangs quite quickly. I always needed protein & found that most meat grossed me out (except a nice juicy steak which is hard to transport in the car :giggle )

Garnet
10-15-2006, 10:23 AM
boiled eggs
string cheese or really any kind of cheese
yougurt
or yougurt smoothies
soy products, soy chips, etc.

chicken fingers? I keep grilled cut chicken strips in my fridge and dips for the kids. its not super portable but it is quick.

Eowyn
10-15-2006, 11:23 PM
first, that is a very difficult list to avoid completely. What on earth is the purpose of avoiding all legumes??? I can understand peanuts but wow--that makes it hard :think (and if I think it's hard it's really hard ;) ).

Dh reacts to beans and peas. Minor reactions thus far, but he's shown the tendency to go from mild reaction to major with little provocation.

Also, I am curious why dairy isn't restricted by the allergist :think

DH doesn't have problems with dairy, and dairy is rather limited in our diets anyway. Most of our protein is animal protein.

It seems like the only thing you have as an option for protein is meat :shrug Oh, and broccoli and high protein veggies.

DH reacts to broccoli, too. :banghead But only raw broccoli. Cooked is fine.:scratch His list is insane. There are tons of caution foods (he can eat them, but would do well to observe himself carefully afterwards for signs of reaction), and several "Ack, no" foods, and then the "Gaaaaah! Get the Epipen" foods. I'm considering hauling him in for NAET, but it's expensive and our medical bills are not pretty right now. After we meet deductible (should be sometime in the next few weeks with pregnancy care and a well-child check), it will be more of an option. DH is pretty skittish about it, knowing he'd have to have some of his allergens near him. 3 hospital worthy reactions in 9 months have him a little rattled (oh, and that $50 copay for the ER? Yeah, that's just the ER--the docs and anyone so much as passing near him in the hall still get to bill the stuffing out of us :rolleyes), poor guy. :doh

What are examples of high protein veggies?

and I was :laughtears because every timeI saw your subject line I would think, "Why does she want snarky food???" :shrug

:laughtears

Well you know, the relationship I have with food is er, unique. :shifty I want only foods that complement my personality. No syrupy sweetness for me. :giggle

This is one of those "I'm pregnant and I'm hungry NOW & if I don't eat I immediately I will fall to pieces in a large and messy way" requests for snacks, isn't it?

It might be. :shifty What would give you that idea? :giggle Yes, it is. If my food intake isn't consistent, or at least semi-reasonable, I am soooo not a good person to be around.

In that vein, I'd suggest getting some easy to grab string cheese & non-refridgeration needed chocolate milk (usually in juice box containers) that you can keep on hand at all times. Also, I found some very grainy crackers also seemed to curb the hunger pangs quite quickly. I always needed protein & found that most meat grossed me out (except a nice juicy steak which is hard to transport in the car :giggle )

Pity, isn't it? If they ever make a way to easily transport a nice juicy steak (I envision this as something like this guy --> http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/theladyeowynofrohan/gerard-butler.jpg riding along with me and ensuring said juicy steak doesn't fall on the floor :giggle--that's it--new business concept for pregnant women--the Ride-Along Steak Provider :rockon), I am so there.

I will say that a couple of things I've found helpful so far (and will need to pick up at the store tomorrow) are Braeburn apples and Babybel cheese (1 tiny wheel goes perfectly with one apple), and if I'm really desperate and running around, Ensure Healthy Mom isn't unbearable (they sent me $3 off coupons, and they've been put to good use). I know it's not the greatest, but it's packaged conveniently and palatable.

expatmom
10-16-2006, 12:31 AM
:rollI think pregnancy has done something to your humor quotient, because your posts are just killing me these days. :laughtears I'm trying to nurse dd to sleep in the dark while reading this & its hard to do when I keep laughing out loud. Between this and the mullet post.... :mrgreen

Eowyn
10-16-2006, 12:35 AM
:rollI think pregnancy has done something to your humor quotient, because your posts are just killing me these days. :laughtears I'm trying to nurse dd to sleep in the dark while reading this & its hard to do when I keep laughing out loud.

Sorry, I'll be good. :yes

:whistle

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/theladyeowynofrohan/gerard-butler.jpg

:duck

herbalwriter
10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

With a steak like that, who needs any other protein??!?

You're like Kawani with the pb chocolate brownies...I am a single mama and you're KILLIN' me!!!! :laughtears

Eowyn
10-16-2006, 08:39 PM
:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

With a steak like that, who needs any other protein??!?

You're like Kawani with the pb chocolate brownies...I am a single mama and you're KILLIN' me!!!! :laughtears

I want Kawani's pb chocolate brownies. Stinkin' nut allergies! :hissyfit If they ever prove that avoiding certain allergens during pregnancy doesn't help future allergy development whatsoever, I'm taking a week's vacation from DH with a bowl of PB everything.

beccafromlalaland
10-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Ummm I'm carrying around those packages of pre-cooked bacon...in my purse, It just occured to me how weird it must look to see a woman walking through the mall digging Bacon out of her purse. :hunh

mamaKristin
10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
well, you could always try grilling a steak on the engine block of your car. wasn't cooking in a moving car a big thing a few years back? :shifty

herbalwriter
10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
That's true - there was a book called "Manifold Destiny" that was a cookbook about cooking on your car's manifold.