PDA

View Full Version : ISO: dairy free, healthy (low or no sugar) recipes for snack/treat day at work

sarahtar
10-13-2006, 11:28 PM
I have a (very) part time job now (at Jo-Ann Fabric). Every time there's a big sale, they have a treat day, and there's a big sale next weekend. We're supposed to bring a snack to share. Then the next day, I have my grandparents' 60th anniversary party, and we're supposed to bring a snack for that, too.

I want to make something healthy so my family can eat it. Dairy free so DS and I can eat it. But yet yummy enough that "normal" people will not find it disgusting.

I can always fall back on my yummy vegan multi berry muffins, but I'd like to try something new. TIA!!

herbalwriter
10-14-2006, 07:31 PM
:think I can think of dairy-free, and I can think of low-sugar, but not a combo! :doh Let me think on it some more...

PurpleButterfly
10-15-2006, 10:11 AM
What about a simple platter of enticing fresh fruits? You could also make a fruit dip using plain yogurt sweetened with honey or maple syrup and cinnamon if you wanted. Or you could add some nice cheeses in bite size nibbles.

Another suggestion would be to make a batch of hummus in the blender/processor and present it with crisp baby carrots, celery, pepper strips and some yummy crackers.

A few years ago for a children's fall party, I made pumpkin butter and 100% fruit jam sandwiches on whole grain bread, then cut them out w/fall cookie cutter shapes and piled them on a platter that I decorated w/tucked in fabric leaves in fall colors. It was so pretty and everyone gobbled them up! :yum

herbalwriter
10-15-2006, 06:11 PM
PurpleButterfly, you have good ideas! I'd love the pumpkin butter and jam recipes...