PDA

View Full Version : very very basic cooking

Beauty4Ashes
10-10-2006, 05:04 PM
A friend of mine came to visit me today and she was asking me about cooking. She admitted that she does not know how to cook or even how to follow a recipe. She was asking me how to boil potatoes properly. My problem is that I don't have the answer for the "how long do you cook it for" or "how do you know if the boiled potatoes are done?". Answer: it depends on the size of your potatoes, but when they are done, you'll know by poking 'em with a fork. Is there any cook book that answers these basic questions? Like I said, I am really used to cooking by tasting and smelling and such, so I don't know precisely how long or how I know that something is done, I just do. I'd love to give her a hand, and she did ask. Where to begin?

Katydid
10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
If you don't think she would be offended, how about an "Idiot's Guide..." or "...For Dummies" type of book? I've not seen any of the cooking ones (I'm assuming they exist) but I've had good luck with those books about other subjects. They give basic, skim-the-surface type of instruction. Good luck... that would be hard for me, too cause I'm the type of person who thinks recipies are just "guidelines" ;)

SouthPaw
10-10-2006, 05:11 PM
i have the betty crocker cookbook, and it has the answer in it to every stupid question i have ever had. :mrgreen

milkmommy
10-10-2006, 05:32 PM
i have the betty crocker cookbook, and it has the answer in it to every stupid question i have ever had. :mrgreen

Ditto

Deanna

Elwing
10-12-2006, 08:29 AM
You know, I like Joy of Cooking for information on just about everything. My mom used it and I use it extensively, now.

Mama Calidad
10-12-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm a cook by sight/smell person, too. :yes When I first got started, though, I needed an exact recipe and all the measuring cups/spoons. Made my cook by sight/smell mom nuts. :giggle I think it makes sense, though. When I drive somewhere new, I use a map and follow the directions exactly. Once I'm familiar with an area, I go my own way. :grin

:yes I can't find mine right now, but I'm sure that I remember a chart with basic instructions for cooking most veggies.

MamaJayne
10-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Food Network just came out with a cookbook called How To Boil Water, and I think that's exactly the kind of person it's aimed towards.

expatmom
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
The Fanny Farmer Cookbook is also a very basic cookbook. It even has pictures in case you aren't sure what a particular vegetable looks like, etc.

catholicapmom
10-12-2006, 12:59 PM

:yes