PDA

View Full Version : DD1 says it hurts when she pees. What does this sound like to you?

GodChick
10-07-2006, 11:45 AM
DD1 keeps saying she needs to pee every hour or so, and says it "stings at first" when she pees. :cry She has a history of labial adhesions, but they were resolved about a year ago. :shrug Though I know they can recur. She doesn't want to let me look (that's not a pain issue, she's always been like that. :banghead ) She also a couple of times has bonked herself there (once while jumping on the arm of the couch. :rolleyes2 and once when she said she sat down on another kid's foot at preschool.) and after that, said it hurt when she peed for a few days. But I don't remember her feeling like she needed to pee more OFTEN . . . she also insists on wiping herself and I think sometimes she doesn't do a great job. Does external irritation also cause a feeling like you need to pee more often? Or does that sound more like a bladder infection or something?

I'm so upset that she's got something else wrong with her . . .she's got doctors appointments and a possible hospital procedure coming up for something else, and the doctors there have already sent out a not so friendly introductory letter stating that they will not answer questions about anything outside of their expertise (gastroenterologists) . . . so there's no asking them to just take a look at it while she's there . . . it would mean yet ANOTHER doctor appointment, unless it's something I can take care of at home. :cry

cindergretta
10-07-2006, 11:48 AM
UTI? Bladder infection? Is there any pink when she wipes or in the urine?

:hugheart

GodChick
10-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Is there any pink when she wipes or in the urine?

Nope. I've been wondering the same thing . . . UTI? Bladder infection? She drinks lots of water . . . clean water--we have a reverse osmosis system. :shrug She also takes probiotics. :shrug

BeckaBlue
10-07-2006, 11:52 AM
UTI is my first thought, since stinging when peeing and more frequent urination is huge symptoms of uti
my other thoguht is a yeast infection...while needing to pee mor foten isn't as common of a symptom, it still is considered one, me and dd both have it when we get a yeast infection. it would 'sting at first' because the skin hurts, but once it' flown a bit it stops stinging. im not sure if stinging is often jsut at first with a uti or if it stings the whole time since ive never had any symptoms of a uti

GodChick
10-07-2006, 11:56 AM
not sure if stinging is often jsut at first with a uti or if it stings the whole time since ive never had any symptoms of a uti Me neither.

Anyone have any idea what in the world could cause her to get either a UTI or a yeast infection, if she drinks lots of water and takes probiotics? :scratch And if it's a UTI, does that require yet another doctor visit?

cindergretta
10-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I've had 2 UTIs in my life. Once when pg with my first and once about a month or so ago. No apparent reason for either one! :shrug

:pray :hugheart

BeckaBlue
10-07-2006, 12:08 PM
a uti would probably need antibiotics (though there may be some holistic treatments that i'm not aware of) since it can turn into more serious forms of infection it does need to be treated somehow.
my oldest has gotten yeast infections while on probiotics, she's prone somehow...we would pump up her acidopholous during them and try using just a topical cream to alleviate the discomfort, sometimes we had to move on to monistat (not inserted but put on topically) other times the extra acidopholous took care of it

phermion
10-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I got UTI's a lot as a child because of bubble baths. I haven't had one since I moved to showers as a little kid. I'm sure baths without the extra bubble stuff isn't a problem - but you might want to make sure there's not alot of shampoo or soap dissolved in the bath water. (((hug))) Hope it's an easy fix and you can relax a little bit. :hug We have lot's of Dr.'s appointments and they stress me out because they usually just end up with pre-op appointments eventually.

alivia
10-08-2006, 06:59 AM
I have had so many UTIs & kidney infections. I don't know why. I have heard that some people's urinary tracts are set up to be more susceptible to them. At any rate, you don't have to worry about the Dr.'s appt. to check for a UTI. It's just a simple urine test. You can collect at the Dr.'s office or at home, if needed. You might even be able to call them, explain the urgency & pain symptoms, and ask them to do a test without an appt.

The urgency & stinging are classic symptoms of a UTI. There's not always blood in the urine with a UTI. Every time I've had the symptoms, and the test has been positive, I've never seen blood when wiping. (And I've had a lot--like 10 infections in my 34 years?).

I've always taken antibiotics, but they ended up causing a big yeast problem. I never knew about taking probiotics with them. When my dd had to take anitbiotics, my naturopath told me to give her 3 probiotic capsules a day to stave off the yeast.

There is a tea called Uva Ursi (or something very close) that my midwife uses for UTI's. In fact, I just remembered that I saw it listed for UTIs in my Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child (http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-0895295458-5) book. I love, love, LOVE this book. But I just went searching all over the house for the book, and couldn't find it. :sad2 Sorry. If I find it, I'll post the dosage info from the book.

I wouldn't treat with anything, though, unless you get a positive urine test from the Dr. It's so quick & easy.

Good luck! And I hope she feels better soon. I am miserable with a UTI. (Oh, and you can always start with cranberry juice. That seems to help a lot of UTI sufferers & it can't hurt!)

mom2threePKs
10-08-2006, 07:12 AM
Sounds like aUTI. My dd has them chronically. You can try cranberry juice or even cranberry capsule if she won't drink the juice. Be on the look out for fever and pain in her back. That indicates a kidney infection and you do not want to mess around with those. You can call the doc and ask if they will do the urine test without an appointment or if you can just take a sample in to a lab near you for urinalysis and culture. But to get a good sample you really need a sterile container to collect it in. If she's not better by Monday i'd take her in. If she gets a fever, I'd call today.

Magan

GodChick
10-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Well, I took her in yesterday and they did a urine test. The doc said it sounded like a UTI, so gave her some antibiotics while waiting for the test results. They called back today with the first results and said it was negative. :shrug They said they will call again tomorrow with the final results and if the sample is still negative tomorrow she can stop taking the antibiotics. :shrug I asked if I needed to have her checked again to see what the cause was, but the gal I talked to said no. :scratch DD says it no longer hurts when she pees. :shrug Really odd. The lady I talked to on the phone said, "Maybe she was just really dehydrated and her urine was strong." But I don't think so -- she drinks a lot of water. I mean, not TONS like something is wrong; she just always drinks water during the day, KWIM? But if the symptoms are resolving and the test is negative . . . . :shrug I dunno . . . maybe she did hurt herself there and forgot about it? :scratch :shrug I dunno . . . :scratch

mom2threePKs
10-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Little girls can get pretty irritated around their bottom area and it can cause burning as the acidic urine touches it. My girls occassionally have red bottoms especially if they skip a bath or two or it has been a hot sweaty day. If the Urine tests were normal and she's fine i'd probably chalk it up to skin irritation.

Magan