PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Casserole Help!

Myrtle
10-05-2006, 01:49 PM
I was given a frozen casserole and told to let it thaw before cooking it at 350 for 45 minutes. Well, I set it out this morning planning to have it for dinner tonight. Umm, it's not even close to being thawed. I have an hour and 15 minutes before I need to put it in the oven. Is there anything I can do or should I scrap the idea and plan to have it for dinner tomorrow?

It's in a Pampered Chef stoneware casserole dish, and it's too big for my microwave. I really don't want to have to cook tonight, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be most appreciative. :grin

cindergretta
10-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Casseroles usually have to thaw overnight. The only thing I can think of is to lower the temperature of the oven and put it in now and let it cook very slowly. I'm not sure how that will work out with the PC baking dish, though. Not too mention if it stays frozen in the middle and you end up with no dinner. TBH, I'd put it off until tomorrow. :/ Sorry! :hug

Myrtle
10-05-2006, 02:03 PM
I was afraid of that. So, do you thaw it in the fridge overnight or on the counter?

cindergretta
10-05-2006, 02:10 PM
During the night, in the fridge. When I get up, I put it on the counter.

Sorry about your ruined plans! :hug2

Myrtle
10-05-2006, 02:20 PM
thanks! I was so looking forward to not cooking tonight. Oh well. I can look forward to not cooking tomorrow night I guess. :)

SouthPaw
10-05-2006, 02:22 PM
huh, that's funny. i always just throw them straight in the oven from the freezer. is that bad? :O

Myrtle
10-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I think it depends on what you're cooking it in. Stoneware might break if you did that. I know if you put a frozen lasagna in a stoneware dish to cook, it'll bust. I'm not sure about cooking a casserole that was frozen in stoneware, though. Obviously, I'm not an expert on this as I don't even know how to thaw a casserole in time for dinner. :O

SouthPaw
10-05-2006, 02:39 PM
oh ok, its the dish not the food :doh yah i see how that might end up Not Good. I usually just use a corningware thingy.

snlmama
10-05-2006, 02:40 PM
I usually just throw mine in frozen also. :shrug I'd cook a regular 9X14ish pan for about 2 hours at 350. Shorter time for a smaller pan.

Myrtle
10-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I usually just throw mine in frozen also. :shrug I'd cook a regular 9X14ish pan for about 2 hours at 350. Shorter time for a smaller pan.

If only I'd known that an hour ago, I coulda' tried it. :doh At least I'll know for next time. Thanks!

cindergretta
10-05-2006, 08:10 PM
I cook casseroles froazen on occasion, too. But it does take longer so I like to thaw first if I think of it. That said, I think PC stoneware can break if it goes from frozen to heat. I'm not 100% on that, but maybe you could look on a PC site. Or ask a GCM PC consultant! :grin

TulipMama
10-07-2006, 03:58 PM
(I cook food from frozen all the time, too. . .)

Myrtle
10-07-2006, 05:57 PM
I think PC stoneware can break if it goes from frozen to heat. I'm not 100% on that, but maybe you could look on a PC site. Or ask a GCM PC consultant! :grin

I did ask a PC consulatnt today and was told to thaw first if it's in stoneware. We ended up having veggie soup the other night and got to enjoy the casserole with our neighbors on Friday night which was great b/c the wife usually gets home at 9pm but got off early Friday. Also the kids were having a rough day Friday and I wasn't feeling good, so not cooking Friday ended up being better than not cooking Thursday. I'm glad God's in control, right down to the casseroles! :mrgreen