PDA

View Full Version : ? A tender roast

momaich
09-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I wonder if anyone knows a surefire way to get a tender roast everytime I cook one? I saw the add coke idea in another thread and I don't want to do that, but I have a hard time cooking meat to come out tender. Once in a while I get it just right, but mostly not. I thought maybe it was the cut of meat I had purchased but I started buying the most expensive and they still come out yucky.

DogwoodMama
09-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Hmmm... maybe do it in the crock pot? They get very juicy and fall apart tender. :tu

Cheyenne
09-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I don't know if you use a crockpot, but I usually set mine on low with some water on it and let it cook for hours. I do season it before hand, but I leave one seasoning off. I am not sure if I am the only one who didn't know this, but I didn't know that salting it before hand would make it tough. :doh :doh :doh I could never understand why all my steaks I grilled and roasts turned out so tough until I learned about the salt thing. I thought I needed to salt it first to let it really cook in, but it was drying it out. Now I salt when it is all done and it made a BIG difference! :yes :yum I am not sure if that helps you at all, but I thought I would share just in case.

Mama Calidad
09-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Toss it in the crockpot with a can of french onion soup and a can of beer. Cook on low all day. :yum

galfromCal
09-30-2006, 11:28 AM
I do crockpot roast...put it in early in the morning on high for about 7 hrs....throw in the veggies if you want them, and cook on low until the veggies are tender, another 3 or 4 hours. Tender all the time...but a long time of cooking ensures that.

snlmama
09-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Yep - the crock pot makes it tender every time. Add whatever spices, soups that you normally add (except maybe a bit less liquid if you usually use the oven) and it should come out great. :yes

momaich
10-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone! I can't believe I left the crockpot part out. I almost always cook roasts in the crockpot. That's why I am so frustrated they come out dry and tough. I thought they were supposed to cook a tender roast all the time. However, I do salt before I cook. I will try not salting next time.