PDA

View Full Version : What do you like to put on your pie? Recipe, please :)

Jillian
09-28-2006, 08:28 AM
I bought some cherries and apple pie filling. Now what do I do? :laughtears

I'd like to make a pie, but don't know how to make a simple crust. I tried searching for ideas, but I didn't find anything for just a regular pie crust. I also saw someone said they like crumbles instead, I'm open to that idea...if anyone has a recipe they'd like to share.

Thanks so much!

herbalwriter
09-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Here's an unusual idea for cherry pie filling...and it does not involve pie crust. You get some cream horns in the package, slice them up into rounds, and put a spoonful of cherry pie filling (one cherry) on each one. :yum

Jillian
09-30-2006, 05:51 AM
Mmmm, sounds easy! I just don't know what a cream horn is? Off to google...

hbmamma
09-30-2006, 06:01 AM
I've always had bad luck with pie crusts. I like making a vinegar crust - no it doesn't taste like that at all.

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 sticks cold butter - cut into small pieces

In a small bowl: 1/4 cup cold water, 1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar, 1 egg yolk

Cut the butter into the flour, salt, & sugar with a pastry cutter or two knives (you can use your hands, but the heat from your hands will melt the butter - you want the butter to remain cold) till it resembles course crumbs. Then add all at once the egg mixture and mix till all flour is just moistened. Form into a ball and divide nearly in half, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refriderate for at least 30 mins. Then you can roll into rounds for your pie dish (use the larger one for the bottom ;) )

If that fails, you could always buy a pre-made pie crust in the refrigerator section of your grocery store. :shrug :shifty

herbalwriter
09-30-2006, 01:48 PM
http://www.frenchpastrychef.com/pastry/1010creamhorn.shtml

cream horns. ;)

Punkie
09-30-2006, 01:58 PM
This is not at all healthy, but its SO yummy, and a great alternative for cherry pie filling

Chocolate covered cherry cake

1 box chocolate cake mix
20 ounces cherry pie filling
2 whole eggs, beaten

1 cup sugar
5 Tablespoons butter
⅓ cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips
Combine first 3 ingredients by hand. Mix carefully, not to crush cherries.
Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
Bake at 350 approximately 30 minutes
Combine sugar, butter and milk
Boil 1 minute stirring constantly
Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips
Blend until melted and pour over partially cooled cake

If you want to make a pie, this is a good crust:
http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/BasicFlakyPieCrust.asp