PDA

View Full Version : FYI Xanga Users- Privacy Options!!!

DogwoodMama
09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
I just found something on Xanga that makes me feel better... If you look at your account settings, the second link is "privacy"... you can opt out of being searched by Google. That is the *majority* of my footprints. (well that and Bloglines.) You can also opt out of Xanga search, or allow only people signed into Xanga to view your blog. I didn't realize this, just wanted to share that here in case others didn't know that either! :grin

Irene
09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
oooh thanks! I didnt know that!!! :tu

DogwoodMama
09-28-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure if it works though... I got another google hit after I changed it. :scratch

ThirstyTurtle
10-04-2006, 08:15 AM
It might take a week or more for you to drop out of Google's search cache.

4MKfam
10-04-2006, 11:40 AM
...How weird is it that people can get junk on google from a blog with only four entries, none of which really have "hot button" words (that I've noticed, anyway)???? :scratch
I've gotten a few google hits as well, and can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. Can someone explain how this happens, or am I just so dense that I don't know how google works or something?

ThirstyTurtle
10-05-2006, 09:09 AM
:shrug Do you get the referring link from Google, which would have the search words in it? Perhaps it is just the combination of words on the page that places the person there.

4MKfam
10-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I think I've solved the mystery --apparently it's a search-bot or something like that, an automated google thing that just checks for searchable stuff. Found that out from a help link on xanga. There isn't a searchable link next to the google footprints, so I'm figuring that's what is happening. Don't you just love being a newbie at stuff? :P~

Irene
10-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Right, but I think the idea is that if you click on the private feature, then the googlebots wont be able to scan your blog :shrug obviously, thats not working though, the google and yahoo and msn bots are still scanning my blog as well :shrug :/ I guess its only been a week though.

ThirstyTurtle
10-07-2006, 09:27 AM
The way I understand that Google works is that is automatically crawls the internet looking for pages to index in its search engine's cache. It takes a snapshot of the pages it searches.

If you set your page to not be Googled, then the next time Google looks at your page to index it will be dropped out of the search engine. In the time between setting your pages to not be Googled and Google re-scanning your page, you will still be in Google's search engine.

Are you actually able to see that a Google bot searched your page through Xanga, and then you are still searchable in Google after that? I think it takes at least a week for the bot to re-scan your page.

You can remove pages more immediately using this page. It looks like you have to make an account though, and I don't know if it will work on Xanga pages because you aren't in control of the server???
http://services.google.com:8882/urlconsole/controller?cmd=reload&lastcmd=login