PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Fruit Crepes - What Side Dish??

liamum
09-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Fairly often, I make fresh fruit crepes with a berry sauce for dinner. Both DS and DH love them, and it makes a nice, lighter/cooler meal some nights.

But I can never figure out what would be a good side dish. I think of cheese as going well with fresh fruit and crepes . . . but cheese and what? I am always kind of at a loss, I guess because I think of the crepes as already being a starch so then I am not sure I want to add more starch.

I am making them tonight and I think I may make a pea salad (cold peas, shredded cheddar, mayo dressing), but I am still not convinced that's a great accompaniment either.

Ellyane
09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
It sounds delicious!

I'm thinking maybe some protein would be a good accompaniment. Maybe some eggs, since crepes are breakfasty? I like your pea salad idea though.

Mother of Sons
09-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, you need a protein I think. IMO plain cheese slices or cubes would be just fine. Maybe you could make cheese and apple kabobs.

liamum
09-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Cheese and apple kabobs sound yummy!

Maybe some eggs

Yeah . . . I guess it is that I am missing a protein. Maybe hard boiled eggs in the pea salad?

Ellyane
09-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Cheese and apple kabobs sound yummy!

Maybe some eggs

Yeah . . . I guess it is that I am missing a protein. Maybe hard boiled eggs in the pea salad?

yum!

herbalwriter
09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
This may be late, but you could do a brown rice/cheese dish, or cheese polenta. :yum

liamum
09-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Mmmm - polenta sounds yummy!

TulipMama
09-26-2006, 08:56 PM
The crepe recipe we use calls for quite a few eggs, so it's pretty high in protein. . .

Personally, I'd probably just serve the crepes, berry topping, and OJ. . .

RealLifeMama
09-27-2006, 06:27 AM
The crepe recipe we use calls for quite a few eggs, so it's pretty high in protein. . .

Personally, I'd probably just serve the crepes, berry topping, and OJ. . .

This is what I would do, too.
Of course, my DH is very "I need at least three things for dinner" oriented so I don't know if I could serve crepes for dinner. But I would think that making eggs or salad would kind of ruin it for me, I can't have a big mix of flavors with stuff like crepes.
Cheese would probably go well. Or you could make a cheese crepe as well.
I guess you already ate your dinner, so what did you make?

Ellyane
09-27-2006, 07:51 AM
I've been thinking they would be good with some ricotta cheese.

liamum
09-27-2006, 10:00 AM
There is an egg for the crepe batter. I made a pea salad to go with it, but I think I'll try polenta next time.

milkmommy
09-27-2006, 10:54 AM
:yum sadly I doubt DD would touch them and I know DH would say they were to girly :rolleyes

Deanna

herbalwriter
09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
:lol "Too girly" is not something I have ever heard as a reason to dislike a food. That cracks me up.

I am waiting for a recipe for those crepes... :grin

Ds is too little to know they're girly. :laughtears

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Sounds scrumptious!! :yum :yum

I would serve them with a tall, frosty soy protein smoothie/shake and some yummy granola block/bars...keep it all in the "sweet", kwim?

milkmommy
09-27-2006, 08:29 PM
:lol "Too girly" is not something I have ever heard as a reason to dislike a food. That cracks me up.

I am waiting for a recipe for those crepes... :grin

Ds is too little to know they're girly. :laughtears

he wont touch a quiche for the same reason.. :rolleyes or a sandwich if its been cut in 4ths :rolleyes2 Gee wonder where DD gets her pickiness.

Deanna

herbalwriter
09-27-2006, 08:34 PM
My dad's like that, now that you mention it - I remember him saying something about quiche being sissy food. :rolleyes And my xh was like that with tofu. Men are so weird. It's not like I won't eat foods because they're too manly.

milkmommy
09-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Oh I don't dare mention that at least 80% of our "meat" dishes are really meatless and tofu is a common ingredient in this house. :giggle

Deanna

herbalwriter
09-27-2006, 08:45 PM
:giggle :giggle I used to sneak it, too, like into lasagna and stuff. :giggle Maybe that's why he left us, ha ha. :P~

milkmommy
09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Maybe that's why he left us, ha ha.
:rolleyes2 I made some tacos using veggie meat once right at the start of our marriage and told him what he was eating (after he devoured like 9 of them :giggle) and he told me in the future just don't tell me. :lol
So me being a good submissive wife... :shifty :O :giggle ;)

Deanna

herbalwriter
09-29-2006, 02:03 PM
:laughtears

I did that with TVP and "meat"balls with my then-husband and my inlaws!! :lol Hey, no one knew!

liamum
09-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I made some tacos using veggie meat once right at the start of our marriage and told him what he was eating (after he devoured like 9 of them ) and he told me in the future just don't tell me.
So me being a good submissive wife..

:roll