PDA

View Full Version : why won't my stupid custard thicken???

herbalwriter
09-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I *love* custard - or custard sauce, or whatever you call the custards cooked on the stove top and not baked. I don't understand why it won't thicken. It's just eggs, milk, and sugar stirred over a low flame. It is supposed to "coat the back of a spoon" when it is ready. I have made it before when I was much younger, but now it is just not working for me. Does anyone else have this problem??

Six Little Feet
09-24-2006, 05:57 PM
First are you are using a low fat milk?

And I use cornstarch, because i do not use creame to make my custard.

herbalwriter
09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah, 1% milk...is that what's going on??

And how much cornstarch should I use? I tried using kuzu root starch and it did not thicken it one bit. :think

Thank you for your response! I never thought about the low fat milk being a problem.

Six Little Feet
09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
i would mix a tablespoon in cool water and then add it to start

Myrtle
09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
:ty I always have 2% in the fridge, and my puddings never thicken, but Mom's are always perfect. She would use whole milk though. Explains so much! Thanks for posting this question. I just figured I didn't have *the touch* in the kitchen. :grin

herbalwriter
09-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I will try that after I buy more milk tomorrow...I use organic, lactose free milk...could the lack of lacktose affect it?

Six Little Feet
09-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Nope. But lack of fat will. :grin

herbalwriter
09-25-2006, 01:33 PM
For the first time I am seeing too *little* fat as a problem! :giggle I am going to try making this tonight with the cornstarch...I think I will mix the TB in with the sugar before I add it so it does not lump. I will let you know how it goes.

Six Little Feet
09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
For sure I mix the sugar, and the cornstach then add the milk, eggs and vinnilla

herbalwriter
09-25-2006, 01:56 PM
What proportions do you use? Do you use whole eggs or just the yolks? My recipe calls for 3-4 egg yolks, 2 cups milk, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/8 tsp. salt. I would rather use whole eggs because I never know what to do with all the whites. I can only make so many meringues.

hbmamma
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
I would rather use whole eggs because I never know what to do with all the whites. I can only make so many meringues.

You can freeze your egg whites into individual portions (like an ice cube tray), then transfer to a freezer bag or container, and they'll keep for quite a while (or until you can think of a use for them elsewhere) :shifty

herbalwriter
09-25-2006, 06:17 PM
That's cool that I can freeze them. I have a spare ice cube tray for non-ice stuff, so I may just do that. Good tip! You mamas are *full* of good tips!

I am going to try my custard in a few minutes - after I shower. Like you all needed to know that. ha ha

herbalwriter
09-25-2006, 09:40 PM
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

All I want is some stupid custard that is thicker than water. Why is that so hard?

Ds woke up *3 times* during my attempt to make this dumb custard and I had to take it off the heat and leave it for 20 minutes at a time so often that finally I gave it up, dumped it into a jar, and put it in the fridge. It tastes of raw cornstarch and is the consistency of whole milk at best. :sick

Maybe tomorrow I will dump it back out and heat it up again. Whatever. I am so sick of wasting ingredients. Wait...it *is* tomorrow because I have stayed up so late with this project that was supposed to be simple.

MamatoBiz
09-25-2006, 10:20 PM
http://hillbillyhousewife.com/vanillapudding.htm

This is the one I always use, and it turns out perfect every time. She calls it pudding, but a pudding and a stirred custard are the same thing in the US. Sometimes I use two eggs. Sometimes I use three yolks and no white (this was by far the richest version). If I am low on eggs, I'll just use one. But it still tastes really good. And I always use real butter instead of margarine ;)

Good luck. I hope you get one to turn out!

herbalwriter
09-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Thank you...maybe I will try that one...I guess I will have to make it *with* ds so he does not interrupt it. We used to use 2% milk when i was growing up and it worked fine. I guess 1% is just too low in fat. I don't get it. I have made custards on the stove for 20 years and never had this problem. Until using 1% milk... :rolleyes