PDA

View Full Version : dinner was a disaster and we ended up eating something weird

herbalwriter
09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
So I had planned pineapple salsa chicken (chicken breast marinated/baked in leftover pineapple salsa), black beans and cheese, warm corn chips, and fresh mango for dinner.

Okay, fine. Well, the beans were still hard 1/2 hour past dinner time (and I have a hypoglycemic son - can't play around here!). So I frantically searched for an alternative and made Annie's mac and cheese to go with the chicken. :/ Then the mango was not quite ripe, so I cut up a ripe cantaloupe. Then the chicken was too spicy for ds so he ended up eating Annie mac and cheese and cantaloupe for dinner.

The only good thing was, ds loved the mac and cheese so much - it was bunny shaped pasta and we decided it was shaped like Rosemary Well's bunny book character named "Max," so we called it "Maxaroni" and he actually ate it by himself using his fork. So it was not a total loss.

but I hate it when your dinner plans go awry and you throw together some second rate weird stuff.

canadiyank
09-22-2006, 06:10 PM
:hug :yum

milkmommy
09-22-2006, 06:30 PM
We had that night a few nights ago I started a stew in the crock pot meat potatos carrots onions and celery mushroom and half veggie broth 1/2 water simple I've made it tons of times but it totaly burned this day So DH ended up with a turkey sandwich and soup and DD with a easy Micro pack of annies Mac N cheese. I was still not feelig the best so skiped dinner but latter wanted something tried to make some eggs and poured like 1/2 a container of pepper into them :neutral I gave up grabed a gingerale and called it a night :shifty

Deanna

beccafromlalaland
09-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I've done that before too.

A week ago, I was making Maple roasted parsnips and sweet potatos To jazz up the left over baked chicken. It was going really well, I pulled them out stirred them poured the Maple Syrup on to glaze up, put them back in the oven for "10-15 minutes" then got sidetracked until i smelled something burning :blush We had left over baked chicken, and along with that we each got about one serving spoon of left over butter noodles, left over green beans, left over corn, 1 left over ravioli each, and because I felt guilty I split the candy bar I had hidden in the freezer for dessert. :O

herbalwriter
09-22-2006, 06:52 PM
It sounds like a not-too-uncommon scenario then! :giggle

chelsea
09-23-2006, 10:36 AM
What's wrong with Annie's Mac-N-Cheese and canteloupe for dinner? :hiding :shifty
We buy the organic whole wheat Annies mac-n-cheese and it's not bunny-shaped, but ds still calls it "bunny noodles" because there is a bunny on the outside of the box. :giggle

herbalwriter
09-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Wow, they make Annie's in whole grain? Our Annie's is organic, and it has a lot of different pasta shapes, but no whole grain. That seems silly to me - it should be whole grain. :think

milkmommy
09-23-2006, 12:01 PM
- it was bunny shaped pasta and we decided it was shaped like Rosemary Well's bunny book character named "Max," so we called it "Maxaroni" and he actually ate it by himself using his fork. So it was not a total loss

DD will ONLY eat the single serving ones you make in the microwave :rolleyes So when I saw this I thought hey she loves those stories :highfive and made some of the bunny shaped ones as a side dish to some grilled chicken. I told her look they're bunny shaped just like max.
Cecilia NO eat Max and Ruby!! Not nice! :giggle OH well.... (at least she has principles) :shifty :lol

Deanna

chelsea
09-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Wow, they make Annie's in whole grain? Our Annie's is organic, and it has a lot of different pasta shapes, but no whole grain. That seems silly to me - it should be whole grain. :think

Yep. The whole wheat used to not be organic...but last time I went to the store the whole wheat had all been changed to organic! :rockon If I'm gonna buy expensive mac n' cheese, it better be the real deal, KWIM?! :rolleyes2

Cecilia NO eat Max and Ruby!! Not nice! :giggle OH well.... (at least she has principles) :shifty :lol

:laughtears :laughtears

herbalwriter
09-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Deanna, that is so hilarious! :laughtears

And Chelsea, you have a point - it wasn't that bad a dinner. It just seemed like Refined Carb City with the non-whole grain pasta and the fruit. But you made me feel better. :mrgreen