PDA

View Full Version : do you think this crazy idea for a crockpot "timer" will work?

herbalwriter
09-22-2006, 02:05 PM
So I am getting frustrated lately with things that I want to cook for 3 or 6 or whatever hours in the crock pot when I am going to be gone from the house longer than that...and I have this spare lamp timer and I wonder, why couldn't I use it to turn the crockpot on and off? Would it work the same way as it does with a lamp? Doesn't it just turn the power on and off at the wall outlet? What do you all think? I am afraid to try it unless I have a back up meal plan. (Where's the cowardly chicken emoticon??)

joyful mama
09-22-2006, 02:08 PM
:nak

:think its worth a shot! if you can figure those darn things out!

hbmamma
09-22-2006, 02:08 PM
:think
In theory, sounds like it would work. But I would have a back up plan...just in case.
OR try it when you know you'll be home to make sure it will go on. :shifty

beccafromlalaland
09-22-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work....could you set it for like 15 min as a "test run"

herbalwriter
09-22-2006, 02:18 PM
I am going to try the test run now...that's a good idea.

Then I can market it as the one and only corckpot timer! :giggle

2sunshines
09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
It might work, but what are you going to do with the food after the heat has been turned off? How much longer until you are home? Because the heat will stay in for a little while, continuing to cook it, and then as soon as the heat is gone, the food will start to go bad (as soon as it reaches room temperature contaminants start to form).

I'm just thinking about the logistics of it because it's a good idea... :think

herbalwriter
09-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, it worked!!!! I put some water in it and set it to come on for an hour, and it worked fine.

Good points, 2sunshines...my experience with crockpots has been that you can compensate for "sitting" time by decreasing the cooking time a bit and allowing for that extra cooking time - and if it's going to sit awhile before kicking on and beginning to cook, you can put the food in there frozen and let it be thawing during the wait.

Hm...I think I am on to something...

chelsea
09-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, it worked!!!! I put some water in it and set it to come on for an hour, and it worked fine.

Good points, 2sunshines...my experience with crockpots has been that you can compensate for "sitting" time by decreasing the cooking time a bit and allowing for that extra cooking time - and if it's going to sit awhile before kicking on and beginning to cook, you can put the food in there frozen and let it be thawing during the wait.

Hm...I think I am on to something...

Your mind is truly a masterpiece! :rockon I'm jealous. :hiding

herbalwriter
09-23-2006, 10:48 AM
You're kind Chelsea, but my mind sure puts the "piece" in "masterpiece" - as in, multiple pieces. ha ha

chelsea
09-23-2006, 04:48 PM
You're kind Chelsea, but my mind sure puts the "piece" in "masterpiece" - as in, multiple pieces. ha ha

:roll

herbalwriter
09-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Gives new meaning to giving someone "a piece of my mind"...

:mrgreen