PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make their own kefir...

lenswyf
09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
with kefir grains? Please tell me about it. Easy? Hard? A lot to remember? Problems?

iplsmama
09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I made ours with kefir grains for quite a while. It was not hard but you had to be on top of it, like you had to plan it so your straining wasn't in the middle of the night and you really have to do it almost daily. We just didn't like the stuff I made though. It was very yeasty tasting and really strong. We buy the kefir packets now from the HFS or online and make it this way. It is still way cheaper than store bought and better for you so we'll stick with the shortcut. Much tastier to our tastes. I imagine all culture grains are different though so we just might have had some super active grains with lots of natural yeasts in them.

tempus vernum
09-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I loved our kefir grains - a friend is keeping them "alive" for me while we can't do dairy. We might start up SOON and I am hoping so :pray

I sweetened it with maple syrup or stevia and YUM :yum In fact, I am craving it tremendously :O

It was very easy. dump grains into milk, leave on counter until thickness achieved. I never strained on a schedule - sometimes it was a hair stronger than normal but it didn't bother me. :shrug. After straining, throw in more milk or put in in container with small amount of milk until ready to put in milk.

The only thing I'd do differently is add fruits and experiment to find a good combination that my kids like. Last time, I didn't try to hard but this time I'd mix up fruits and blend them, add apple juice or grape juice concentrate until I found a way they like it and try to get them to drink a small amount every morning instead of their daily acidophilous :tu

Okay, now I am REALLY craving kefir :shifty

cobluegirl
09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I have done it too....it can be picky but mostly you just have to watch it and see what it does...some may take 24 hrs and some may take a little longer depending upon your temp in your house.

I am currently doing water kefir.