PDA

View Full Version : Butter storage?

Dana Joy
09-04-2006, 09:31 AM
So for those of you who use butter how do you store it so it is spreadable. My xMIL used to keep it on th counter- will it get rancid there? Do you use the "speadable" butters with canola oils? :scratch

Six Little Feet
09-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I keep a small dish of butter in the cupboard. Every night I take some out for the next day. It has gotten too soft on some hot days but never gone rancid.

Sheryl

GotMyHeartFull
09-04-2006, 10:50 AM
I use a glass butter dish I got at walmart. Gotten too soft a few times (like if i leave it too close to the stove :doh) but has never gone bad. I only keep one out at a time

Garnet
09-04-2006, 10:57 AM
there's this neat thign called a butter bell they had at the gourmet food shop where I worked. http://www.butterbell.com/?source=adwords

it keeps butter cool and spreadable on your counter top. Using the old way of crockery and water.

ShangriLewis
09-04-2006, 07:55 PM
We use Earth Balance and if it sits out a bit then it softens up. My son really likes the Light Smart balance...it's really spreadable without sitting out, has added Omega 3's, and no transfat.

Garnet
09-05-2006, 07:13 AM
I like smart balance, but I stopped eating margarine or spreads when I found out they are like one ingredient away from being plastic...

ShangriLewis
09-05-2006, 10:46 AM
That's only the hydrogenated ones. Smart Balance and Earth Balance are not.

GotMyHeartFull
09-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I like smart balance, but I stopped eating margarine or spreads when I found out they are like one ingredient away from being plastic...

lol same here, only i loved country crock.

Garnet
09-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm glad to see Smart Balance isn't on the list of plastic....LOL I do think I might get one of those butter crocks for my grandma.

hiddenhippie6
09-05-2006, 06:28 PM
I have always left mine out on the counter in a glass butter dish and it has never gone bad. If it is really hot that day I might put it back in the fridge only because I don't want it to melt all over the counter.

musicmama
09-06-2006, 04:54 PM
A friend of mine actually called Land o' Lakes to ask about this, and they told her she could leave the butter on the counter (in a dish, not necessarily a butter bell) for a week without worry.

milkmommy
09-06-2006, 05:09 PM

not to start anything and I have my own love hate with 'spreads" but this argument is kinda silly IMHO because one its not true but even if so many things are just "one molcule" away from many vastly diffrent things :shrug

Deanna

tempus vernum
09-09-2006, 06:07 AM

not to start anything and I have my own love hate with 'spreads" but this argument is kinda silly IMHO because one its not true but even if so many things are just "one molcule" away from many vastly diffrent things :shrug

Deanna

ITU Deanna :heart , H20 is only one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide h202 and hydrogen peroxide undiluted with burn you FAST. I know because I have burned myself with food grade hydrogen peroxide I was diluting for our use!

That said, we don't use anything hydrogenated

I love the butter crock thingie. I would want one if we could eat butter :shifty but we also use earth balance as we have dairy issues. :O

milkmommy
09-09-2006, 07:49 AM
That said, we don't use anything hydrogenated
:yes deffiently reasons to not use margine o spreads I just kinda :rolleyes :giggle on the "one molcule away" one. FWIW I use smart balance/Earth balance for cooking and regular butter on the table.

Deanna

mom2threePKs
09-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Timing was perfect with this thread. I accidentally left a little dish of butter out last night and having read this happily spread it (very easily i might add) on my toast this morning!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all!

Magan

Dana Joy
09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
I ordered a butter bell on ebay for $15. Thanks so much for the idea!!!
there's this neat thign called a butter bell they had at the gourmet food shop where I worked. http://www.butterbell.com/?source=adwords

it keeps butter cool and spreadable on your counter top. Using the old way of crockery and water.

Garnet
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
they're great! the gourmet food shop I worked at used to sell them and I got to do a display at holiday time with little bits of french or italian bread and a butter bell. They went like hot cakes!