PDA

View Full Version : Hep me with my "chalkboard" idea

Ellyane
08-31-2006, 12:36 PM
we moved the metal filing cabinet into the kitchen last night. I was thinking it would be fun to paint the exposed side with chalkboard paint and get some chalk for Ian to have a little creative center. And maybe get some alphabet magnets for it as well.

I've never used this chalkboard paint. Will it be okay on the already painted filing cabinet or do I need some kind of primer? How expensive is the stuff? I only need to cover a small area so I don't want to buy a big can of paint!

RealLifeMama
08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I have some but have yet to use it!
The jars are small though. So I wouldn't worry about that.
I will go look at ours and see what it says about metal.

RealLifeMama
08-31-2006, 12:49 PM
OK it says if you are painting bare metal to use a primer so I guess if the file cabinet is already painted you should be good to just do the chalkboard paint.
What a neat idea!

Oh and the can suggests getting a little box from a craft store and using it for chalk. Since you are doing yours on metal you can affix a magnet to it and it will stick to the cabinet.

doubleblessings
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
You can also get spray paint that is chalkboard paint. Might be a smaller (cheeper) amount than a can.

Ellyane
08-31-2006, 12:52 PM
OK it says if you are painting bare metal to use a primer so I guess if the file cabinet is already painted you should be good to just do the chalkboard paint.
What a neat idea!

Oh and the can suggests getting a little box from a craft store and using it for chalk. Since you are doing yours on metal you can affix a magnet to it and it will stick to the cabinet.

Thanks! Yes I'm thinking of a magnetic pencil cup for the chalk.

You can also get spray paint that is chalkboard paint. Might be a smaller (cheeper) amount than a can.

I like that idea. I don't like the idea of dragging my filing cabinet outside though. :think
would I have to do that anyway? Is the paint really nasty smelling?