PDA

View Full Version : Cd sewers, I need your help!

me
08-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I want to really go completely cloth now and not buy another disposable.
Only thing is my homemade diapers are very functional but hideous. :hunh Can you tell me how to pretty them up a bit.
To be specific:
Prefolds made from cotton
Covers in general
Crocheted soakers
Cloth fitted diapers

How can I make these look nicer and more professional?
For example, I've found that if I make pocket diapers the seams are hidden so that helps. Or the zig zag if as close as possible will look neater along hook and loop tape. Anything else I can do? :scratch

Rabbit
09-01-2006, 12:43 AM
You've made your own prefolds? Way to go!

You say the seams are hidden on your pocket style diapers. I'm a little confused as to why they wouldn't be hidden on all of your fitted diapers.

I have no advice yet on covers. I haven't got the courage to make my own. Are you using fold over elastic?

Are you saying your diapers are hideous because they're plain, or because you don't like the look of your sewing?

-Natalie

me
09-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks about the prefolds :)
I'm a bit new at sewing and the terminology which is why I am needing a but of help. ;)

If I put a contrasting casing along the edges of the fitted diaper to match the inside. I think it's called a "casing". Where you cut a strip of material then iron it to where it covers an unfinished edge. But you sew it on. (or you just buy premade strips) Clear as mud right ;)

Im not sure what fold over elastic is, could you explain it? I use a strip of elastic, stretched from one point to another on the wrong side. Then go back over about a half inch away to make a casing with the material itself.

Some of them are hideous because I just think the sewing could be more professional but I don't know how, they are all just hidden stiches, casings, or straight stitch. Like a garment purchased where time and ease is the factor rather than tailoring. Kwim??
The only way I know how to cute them up is with the material I use. I was wondering if I was missing something else.
Today I used a zigzag instead of straight stitch on the elastic and was more pleased with the zig zag. I know this probably sounds very rudimentary. But I'm just starting and have no one to ask.
Thanks for your help, I'll be waiting with material and sewing machine in hand :D

Rabbit
09-02-2006, 08:37 PM
If I put a contrasting casing along the edges of the fitted diaper to match the inside. I think it's called a "casing". Where you cut a strip of material then iron it to where it covers an unfinished edge. But you sew it on. (or you just buy premade strips) Clear as mud right ;)

That's actually a binding. I've thought about trying it that way, especially since I just bought a foot for my machine that would help me do it, but I think it would be more work and fabric than it's worth. Topstitching, which where you go back around the edges of the diaper after you've got it completely sewn together, gives a professional look but not a decorative one. Try binding one diaper and see what you think of it.

Im not sure what fold over elastic is, could you explain it? I use a strip of elastic, stretched from one point to another on the wrong side. Then go back over about a half inch away to make a casing with the material itself.

Fold over elastic is used on covers. It's a type of elastic that folds over the edges of the cover the way binding strips do.

Some of them are hideous because I just think the sewing could be more professional but I don't know how, they are all just hidden stiches, casings, or straight stitch. Like a garment purchased where time and ease is the factor rather than tailoring. Kwim??
The only way I know how to cute them up is with the material I use. I was wondering if I was missing something else.

It's difficult to know what else you could do with your diapers without being able to see them. More practice sewing has vastly improved my diapers. I'll look for some links to diaper sewing info, with an eye towards making really cute diapers, and post those for you. I don't mind plain diapers myself, but I've got some cute ones using printed fabrics as the outer layer of the diaper.

-Natalie

sarahtar
09-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Prefolds made from cotton

Hmmm...finished edges, cute fabric. That's all I can think of to pretty up prefolds.

Covers in general

Hm. Fleece covers - fleece hides a lot of stitching imperfections because it's so fluffy. If you're making PUL covers, I think it's easiest with fold over elastic (like this http://www.childstracks.net/article.php?story=20051115210711822)

Crocheted soakers

Gosh, as long as the stitching's neat, I think these look great no matter what. Just can't beat crocheted or knit covers.

Cloth fitted diapers

I've always liked turned and topstitched diapers because it looks so professional (like this http://www.wallypop.net/fitted.htm). Other than that, using cute fabric on the outside is always a crowd pleaser...

It really is hard to tell what you mean without being able to see pictures.

Moon
09-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Prefolds made from cotton ~ Prefolds are not cost effective to make unless your materials are free or nearly free. You can add a strip of fabric along the soaker part for some color, I wouldn't cover the whole prefold unless you intend to pin though (snappi needs the birdseye).

Covers in general ~ Plain PUL covers can be stamped or stenciled on :-)

Crocheted soakers ~ Soakers in themselves are stinkin' cute, but you can always use duplicate stitch to embellish them. Put a spirally sun, puppy face, etc on the bum.

Cloth fitted diapers ~ Use bright funky prints on the outer if you're sewing them.

For prefolds or fitteds with no prints, you could also pick up a Rainbow Rock tiedye kit at any craft store (DON'T get the RIT brand kit!) and add a splash of color to them.

me
09-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks ladies! The pictures really helped too.
Fold over elastic, yah :yes That would really look good, like on a one wet.
Topstitching for the ones I don't have "free material" to make a binding. I'm guessing topstitching looks best with a straight line? In the middle or close to the edge? I'm gonna look at the little pants that come with dd's dresses and see what those have. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks.
The soakers, I bet would look really cute with a few roses on the bum. I did some on a hat's brim I bet I could just put some on the soaker to match. Didn't think of that. Duh :doh