PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pot pie recipe (healthy one would be great!)

Sara
08-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I just ate a Schwan's chicken pot pie. Very naughty, but I really like pot pie as a comfort food. I'd like to make homemade, though, so that it would be more healthy. No dietary restrictions (wf/gf dd won't eat it, anyway).

Does anybody have a recipe?

CakeLady
08-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I have a yummy recipe, but it's not too healthy since it uses premade pie crust for the top and bottom...but it is so yummy and super easy.

1 10oz package frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, potatoes), thawed
1 sml onion, chopped
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 10oz can cream of potatoe soup
1/3 c milk
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 c chicken broth
2 unbaked (9-inch) deep dish pie shells (i use pillsbery refrig. pie shells)

Preheat oven to 375. Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Line a deep dish pie plate with 1 pie shell. Spoon mixture into prepared pie plate. Place remaining pie shell over chicken mixture. Press to seal top and bottom pastry together. Trim off excess pastry. Crimp edge. Piecer top pastry in several places with a sharp knife to vent. Bake for 55 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 6

Note: I brush the bottom crust with egg whites before adding the filling to keep it from getting soggy.

Sara
08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks! :tu Even using premade crust has to be better than frozen Schwan's! Plus, I'm not sure that I'm up to making homemade crust. I just want to enjoy the pot pie - I don't necessarily want to slave over it. ;)

ChristianMother27
08-30-2006, 11:10 AM
making a pie crust isn't too hard. i think it's just flour, a bit of salt, some shortening and some water. it's been a while since i've made one but IIRC that's all the ingredients needed

Thanks! :tu Even using premade crust has to be better than frozen Schwan's! Plus, I'm not sure that I'm up to making homemade crust. I just want to enjoy the pot pie - I don't necessarily want to slave over it. ;)

and it only takes about 5 minutes to make one :D

SouthPaw
08-30-2006, 11:48 AM
oh yeah, homemade crust is super easy, takes maybe 5 minutes. PLUS if you make a little extra you can roll it into cookies, brush them with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake... MMMM dessert!

Iarwain
08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
I just take a pie crust, toss in chopped potatoes, peas, carrots, corn, whatever else looks good and some chopped turkey or chicken then add white sauce or gravy to fill in the cracks and put the top crust on. When I do this I usually make a whole bunch for the freezer. Never had a recipe for it, but it always turned out tasty.

For pie crust I use an easy oil crust recipe from Whole Foods for the Whole Family when I can't get whole wheat crust pre-made.

CakeLady
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
For pie crust I use an easy oil crust recipe from Whole Foods for the Whole family when I can't get whole wheat crust pre-made.

Please share the recipe. :grin

Iarwain
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Please share the recipe. :grin

Easy Oil Crust

2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C oil
1/4 C cold water
salt to taste

Mix flour and salt. Combine oil and water. Add to flour, mixing with fork. Shape into 2 balls and let rest, covered with cloth, for 5 minutes. Roll out between 2 pieces of waxed paper. Put in pie pan and prick with fork.

For baking the crust ahead of time (not for potpies) bake at 375 for 10-12 min.

This doesn't make the super light flaky crust you get from white flour and shortening but it tastes OK and does get crisp. I probably wouldn't use it for something like a meringue pie though.

CakeLady
08-30-2006, 02:48 PM
thanks

pneumaphile
09-01-2006, 05:46 PM
If you want it super quick-and-dirty (and cheap) - make a cream sauce, throw in cooked cubed or canned chicken (I actually use tofu LOL) and frozen veggies, top with biscuit dough (like bisquick or the whole foods whole wheat one), and throw into the oven until the biscuit is done. It turns out like creamed chicken over a biscuit, except it's actually UNDER the biscuit LOL!

Not exactly like a pot pie, but close, faster, and still comfy :)

ShangriLewis
09-01-2006, 11:58 PM
If you want to be really fast use the one of the box of Bisquick. You don't even have to make a dough or anything. You just dump the stuff in layers and pour a biscuit mix over the top. It's amazing and lazy.