PDA

View Full Version : I would like to ask a friend who sews for sewing lessons...

DogwoodMama
08-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I have a friend from church who sews... she has agreed to help me adjust a pouch that I have b/c the seam would be too thick for my cheap kenmore. I was thinking about it, though, & I'd actually like to ask her for some sewing lessons... I would like someone to walk me through how to sew something basic, like a jumper for Charlotte. I have a pattern, and I'd like to go through the process from start to finish- cutting the material, measuring, fitting, sewing, etc.

She doesn't officially give sewing lessons, but that would probably take a lot of time... should I offer to pay her, and if so, how much? If she refuses, then could I get her a gift card or something instead? I would really like to learn from her in particular because I know she's a good seamstress but isn't professional, and she's very calm, easy-going person, and it would be fun to learn from her. :grin

snlmama
08-28-2006, 07:40 AM
I'd offer to pay and offer some sort of barter also. Like "I was wondering if you'd be willing to teach me to sew? I'd be willing to pay $20 for a 2-hour lesson, or if you'd rather, I could teach you how to <something you know how to do> or babysit your child while you run errands in exchange...." That way if she's not comfy w/ being paid you've already opened it up for her choice of something in exchange. I probably wouldn't do a gift card if they refused payment, but I would do them a favor in return or bake something, etc. A gift card is too much like money.

I found a lady off of Craigslist and she charged $10 an hour for lessons, w/ a 2-hour minimum per lesson, so I used that price above....

UltraMother
08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I'd get her a Jo-ann's gift card. :grin

Actually, I would ask her preference.

DogwoodMama
08-28-2006, 08:22 PM
I think I'll bring it up with her when she helps me with the sling. :grin I just don't want to take advantage of her kindness because she goes to my church and might feel awkward charging me since I think this is a hobby for her (sewing). I know she sews for a friend of hers that I know just for fun, sort of a colaborative thing making custom skirts from their own design, etc.

Marielle
09-03-2006, 07:56 PM
She'll probably feel flattered and then excited that you want to learn. Most people want to just pawn off their mending the minute they hear of someone with a sewing machine so I'm sure if you wanted to learn your friend would be more than willing. Just offer to pay and if she refuses the money, then get her the Joann's gift card. Good luck on learning to sew, it's addictive.