PDA

View Full Version : computer making awful noise!

lmgeenw
08-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Our hard drive keeps making this loud grinding noise. It does it after it has been on for awhile and only does it once in a great while, but it is becomming more frequent. Anyone have any idea what it might be and what we should do?

We have EVERYTHING on this computer and it makes me really nervous. We have some of it backed it, but we only have CDs to use and it is hard to do it a lot and make sure we back up everything. I'm feeling a little nervous! :eek

DeenyB
08-26-2006, 12:18 AM
This is only MY opinion, and experience. But ours was doing this for awhile, and it got more frequent. Then crash. Everything was siezed up. Had someone look at the computer, and they said there was no way to repair, or get the data off of it. I would get everything off that you want now.

Rabbit
08-26-2006, 01:15 AM
I can't hear the noise, so I can't give you the best answer, but if you hear it without noticing a performance change in the computer, it may be the fan. If the fan dies, the computer's bits and pieces can kinda melt, and that would be unrecoverable. There are at least two fans in your computer, but they're not that expensive to replace. You can also take the cover off yourself, and see if something is gunking up the fans.

If the problem is the hard drive, and how it spins, you would likely notice the computer screwing up, getting stuck, or something, while it is making the noise. And then again, you might not. I don't think there is a way to repair a dying hard drive.

To replace the hard drive now, before it died, would be a good option. You can install the new one, and reinstall the old one as a slave drive, and then just drag and drop from the old drive to the new, saving all of your good stuff. Replacing a hard drive is also something relatively inexpensive. As long as we're talking a desk top tower, not a laptop.

-Natalie

MarynMunchkins
08-26-2006, 05:26 AM
Back EVERYTHING up, and replace the hard drive. It's about to die a horrible death. :(

lmgeenw
08-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Okay, we are going to take it in tomorrow. I'm not going to live without a computer!! :hissyfit

2sunshines
08-28-2006, 06:25 AM
My first thought was the fan too. When our fan started to fail, it made loud noises too. If that's it, it's a fairly easy fix.

lmgeenw
08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
My first thought was the fan too. When our fan started to fail, it made loud noises too. If that's it, it's a fairly easy fix.

Did it do it intermittently?

We talked to a computer person today and he said it is most likely the hard drive, but there isn't much we can do but back it up often, wait for it to crash, and get a new computer. I have had the computer on for 5 hours today and it hasn't done it. I was kind of hoping it would so I could try and figure out if it was the fan. I just :pray that it will at least last awhile because our roof is leaking too and we are broke!

hiddenhippie6
08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
When your hard dirve start making noise the end is near :nails Back up soon.