PDA

View Full Version : Hey all you spinners

Naked Camper
08-24-2006, 09:41 PM
I got my first attempt at spinning tonight :tu I've decided that I'm going to buy/make a drop spindle so I can learn how to spin and try to convince my FIL to make me a wheel. My question is, where do you get wool from? I really am only interested in working with wool right now b/c of wanting to make soakers for ds. Would yarn shops carry un-spun wool? How do I get ahold of this stuff? I'm willing to learn how to prepare the fiber if I cannot find it already prepared.

Mama Rophe
08-24-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't spin though I wish I did. I would look for a local farmer who has sheep. Maybe you could get it from them.

Naked Camper
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I was thinking that...but finding the farmer?..... :scratch unfortunatly I don't think they advertise in the phone book :giggle

Mama Rophe
08-24-2006, 10:06 PM
You could ask around at your local farmers market.

Naked Camper
08-25-2006, 03:06 AM
good idea :tu

Iarwain
08-25-2006, 07:22 AM
I have wool! Both in the bag and on the hoof. What I have is raw though, meaning it needs washing and combing or carding to make it ready to spin. You can find TONS of wool on ebay and some of the prices are quite good. What you want to look for if you want ready-to-spin is roving or "top". There are many sellers who sell beginner kits with a drop spindle and a quantity of roving along with a couple pamphlets to get you started. That's what we did for dd last Christmas. I'll see if I can find the seller we bought from, she had a nice selection.

Naked Camper
08-25-2006, 08:19 AM
A beginners kit would be great! I will definatly keep your name in mind if I get the hang of this and do like spinning. I've always been so facinated by it...the question will be is if I can learn the art of it. Thanks for the advice :hug

Naked Camper
08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Iarwain - how much do you think is a good amt. for getting started? It typically takes about 60g to make a soaker...

Naked Camper
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
this is what I bought off ebay. I hope it's a good deal. I figure I can get a book from the library and drop spindels are easy to make and I could make one for less than what they sell on ebay. I only got 50g to start off with to make sure it's something that I will like and want to stick with :)

ebay find (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250020946116&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

Iarwain
08-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, the listing comes up in GBP and I'm not sure how the currency translates to know if it's a good deal, but Merino top is wonderful! Merino is so fine and soft.

The seller we got Princess' kit from is anniemay123. She has quite a selection of different fibers and the spindles are very reasonable (but if you're overseas shipping will be too high). A new spindle can be had for only a few dollars and then you don't have to worry about getting the balance and weight right. Learning from books is very doable, that's how I taught myself. I'm no expert but I enjoy it very much. It just takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it.

50 g is the weight of a small ball of commercial yarn like you'd find in a specialty yarn shop, just for reference. Starting with top or roving you won't have much waste so your final yarn will weigh about as much as the wool you started with.

Naked Camper
08-25-2006, 10:48 AM
yeah...i wasn't so smart on the GBP thing. I'm in Missouri, not overseas. I priced the wool and it wass like $5 for 50g..I forgot to convert the shipping...so it ended up being like $12 shipped :shifty :doh Oh well, I'll know for next time :O :rolleyes