PDA

View Full Version : yakatori

SPKarenO
08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
okay...so i made a Dream Dinner the other night, Chicken Yakatori over Rice. It was delicious!

So then I got to thinking that really the recipe was pretty simple, I could do it at home myself.

But I don't actually know how to make the Yakatori Sauce, and I'm pretty sure I can't ask Dream Dinners for the recipe.

The recipe was precooked chiken chunks/strips sauteed and then you simmer it in the yakatori sauce and serve over rice.

So I looked up yakatori, and I've found several marinades with ingredients that ring a bell.

Basically:
1/2 c Sugar
1 c Soy sauce
1/2 c Water
1 ts Ground ginger
1 1/2 ts Garlic powder
1 1/2 ts Corn starch

Okay so here's my question...whats the difference between a marinade and a sauce? Can I make this marinade and use it as a sauce?
Won't the corn starch make it more thick? Like a sauce?

Other suggestions and advice please? Thanks!

ArmsOfLove
08-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I *think* that a marinade is what you soak meats or veggies in and a sauce is added to cooked foods. I have seen lots of things that say they are both :tu

Mother of Sons
08-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Usually the only difference is what you do with it. If it's got cornstarch, I definitely consider it more useful as a sauce though.

hbmamma
08-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, :glasses, a marinade contains an acid, usually vinegar or lemon juice. A brine contains high amounts of salt (no acid, 'cause then you have marinade). Any of these can be made into a sauce (any liquid thicken with a starch). There are several different classifications of sauces too: white (cream/milk/cheese), stock (liquid) based, and egg base (hollandaise). However, do not use the marinade/brine that you soaked your raw meat in to make the sauce...you could get :sick Best to make a fresh sauce using ingredients/spices/seasonings that you used to soak your meat/veggies :)

:grin HTH

SPKarenO
08-23-2006, 06:28 PM
okay and from what you all have said, i think i knew the answer to my question too! So basically I can use themarinade as a sauce (as long as I don't soak the uncooked meat in it first!) and if it needs to be a little thicker I can add a little more cornstarch.

Which should be pretty easy since I've seen and used what I'm trying to duplicate so I know the consistency!

Thanks all!!

Ellyane
09-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Well, :glasses, a marinade contains an acid, usually vinegar or lemon juice. A brine contains high amounts of salt (no acid, 'cause then you have marinade). Any of these can be made into a sauce (any liquid thicken with a starch). There are several different classifications of sauces too: white (cream/milk/cheese), stock (liquid) based, and egg base (hollandaise). However, do not use the marinade/brine that you soaked your raw meat in to make the sauce...you could get :sick Best to make a fresh sauce using ingredients/spices/seasonings that you used to soak your meat/veggies :)

:grin HTH

can't you cook the marinade after you soak the meat in it, and not have to worry about getting sick?

BeckaBlue
09-12-2006, 09:43 AM
can't you cook the marinade after you soak the meat in it, and not have to worry about getting sick?

:popcorn

what is yakatori??? (like what ethnicity is it?)

Ellyane
09-12-2006, 09:49 AM

:popcorn

what is yakatori??? (like what ethnicity is it?)

it's japanese. yaki = grilled, tori = chicken

BeckaBlue
09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
ty, i might be able to get dh to try it

Ellyane
09-12-2006, 10:19 AM

then you can get him into yakisoba - grilled noodles! Sounds odd but it's yummy!

BeckaBlue
09-12-2006, 10:23 AM

then you can get him into yakisoba - grilled noodles! Sounds odd but it's yummy!

:think possibly, but usually he won't eat noodles of any kind....