PDA

View Full Version : where can I find wool yarn?

Garnet
08-20-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm looking for a kind to crochet dipe covers with. Lions Brand or Fishermans or somethign like that. I can't find it anywhere. I went to Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics...........there's still Jo Anns and Jefferey Allens, Micheals.

and how do you put a pattern on a crochet cover? I want to make ( if I can, as in-expert as I am) a cover that has spots like a cow, and a cover with an autumn leaf. Hopefully before he gets here.

Iarwain
08-20-2006, 02:54 PM
If only I had known yesterday you were looking for some! I was at the Michigan Fiber Festival and saw 8 oz skeins of 100% wool for $2.75 each! I didn't have any projects lined up to justify buying it (or money to spend for that matter) but it was such a bargain it was almost painful to walk away without any.

I know I have seen Lion brand 100% wool at Hobby Lobby, but it was tucked in with everything else and not cheap and maybe they don't have it at every store. There are online places where you can get a better price. www.smileysyarns.com is one place I've seen good deals.

Garnet
08-20-2006, 02:58 PM
$2.75! Aw crud! :doh. wish I had said something yesterday! I saw somew wool yarn at Hancock Fabrics, but it seemed very....um thin. It was lion brand too.

4MKfam
08-20-2006, 10:32 PM
...Ah, yes. Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool. I have found it at Hancock Fabrics before (on sale --maybe it was on clearance??), and around here (WI) you can usually find it at Hobby Lobby :scratch. Sometimes it is a little hard to find, and off by itself, maybe since it doesn't come in different colors. It only comes in a natural off-white, kind of a cream color, but I hear it can be dyed. I use a knit pattern for diaper covers, and one skein does about 1 1/2 diaper covers in the medium size. One skein usually runs between $4 but I've seen it as high as $7, if I remember right. It's wonderful stuff -already has the natural lanolin left in the wool. I've never had to lanolize my covers with this wool -I just wash them in Eucalan wool wash when they need it and they work great. The only crochet pattern I had success with was a free one on the internet. You could do a search for crochet patterned diaper covers and just see what you'd find. Borntolove.com used to have links to some pretty good knit and crochet patterns online.

pneumaphile
08-21-2006, 04:57 AM
knitpicks dot com. Wool of the Andes. Very inexpensive, good quality worsted-weight yarn. $1.79 for a 50 gram skein. Love knitpicks.

Oliveshoots
08-21-2006, 06:51 AM
I found mine at A.C. Moore (not sure if those are nationwide). It was Lion Brand, I'm pretty sure fisherman's wool (they had natural and dyed). I'm thinking it was like $6 for a large skein.

Garnet
08-21-2006, 07:54 AM
yeah Lions Brand Fisherman wool can be dyed. I was plannign to koolaid dye it. If I can ever find any. The other Lions Brand wool feel very thin, like it would only be good for hats and scarves maybe?

IslandMama
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I second the knitpicks wool of andes. My Michaels carries Paton's Merino, which is soft and my favorite for crocheting soakers. Joann's has it too, and fisherman's wool that I'ved dyed with kool-aid... I have a pattern I made up and would love to share. Is there a place to post it? Or you can buy from Joann.com. :tu

Garnet
08-21-2006, 02:14 PM
hey how do you put designs in a crocheted soaker? I dunno about posting a pattern....is it a drawing? I did measurements of the dipes and I was gonna approximate it on that.

IslandMama
08-22-2006, 12:27 PM
hey how do you put designs in a crocheted soaker?

I would think you would have to crochet the design separate, then stitch onto the soaker.... For a cow design, maybe you can use white yarn, the dye black splotches??? :scratch

Garnet
08-22-2006, 12:57 PM
well how did you get the spots on your strawberry bottoms?

IslandMama
08-27-2006, 10:48 PM
well how did you get the spots on your strawberry bottoms?

I used fishermans wool, and dyed it with kool-aid. I used 3 different flavors (cherry, strawberry, and pink lemonade). I dyed the yarn before I knitted the soaker... Here's the instructions I used... I like to do it in the microwave.

http://www.knitty.com/issuefall02/FEATdyedwool.html

:tu

tempus vernum
08-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey Kelli,
I have a crochet pattern that I have used . I'll try to find it and copy it and send it along in your package that is sitting in my car waiting for me to go to the post office :O I tried linking to it and the link is expired :(

Here is also a pattern for crochet "longies" http://heavenlyangelsinneed.com/patterns/Yvonne's%20pants%20pattern.pdf#search='baby%20pant s%20crochet'

Here is a crocheted "wrap" pattern http://www.tickleturdle.com/wrappattern.html

Garnet
08-30-2006, 09:17 PM
oooh cute! I still meed to find wool yarn. I just can't seem to find the right weight anywere. Its all stuff for like scarves, not somethign you'd think could stand up to everyday use. My gran lives out in the country and she's gonna look out there.

eta, I just realized you said you were sending a pattern too....thanks so much! You've been so great to me! :hug :heart