PDA

View Full Version : I need a hobby (long)

thomer
08-20-2006, 02:12 PM
This is kind of a vent, I guess, because I'm just bored....

Here's what my day looks like - I work from 5-9 AM then I come home and do all my house cleaning chores and such. DH comes home for lunch at noon, and after he leaves, I'm left with nothng to do. I finally got my cleaning routine down so that my house is all sparkling and then I wander around with no more on my to do list. So I surf the net and whine to DH about being bored all day.... :blush

I try to help DH at his job (our church) but he really doesn't have anything for me to do, or stuff that is out of my skill set, computer wise. Then I ask him what I should do and he says - learn this program or whatever so you can do my job :rolleyes

I also have guilt issues, so if I'm not doing stuff that helps our family (like cooking or cleaning) and just sitting and enjoying myself for no reason, I feel guilty all day that my DH worked and I relaxed all day. :neutral

So anyway, I'm so bored all the time, and I'm borderline depressed because I have no creative outlet or anything that I enjoy doing. I'm also turning into a hermit because all my old friends now have kids or jobs during the day and no time to do anything.

Here's what I'm looking for in a hobby -
- Free or super cheap - all our money is going into our adoption and debt
- Something that could be useful - Playing music doesn't really appeal to me because I feel like I'm doing 'nothing'
- I really like having a flexible schedule because I do help DH sometimes and he has weird hours so I like being around when he is home

Things I've tried that didn't really do it for me -
Gardening
Scrapbooking
Knitting/crocheting/needlepoint
Sewing
Computer programming
Web design
School
Playing piano/guitar
Sports of any kind

Things I do like -
Writing, but I can never think of anything to write about
Singing - I'm in the church choir
Reading and research - anyone need me to research anything for them? :shifty
Working on the computer for really any reason
Playing video games (then I get into the 'doing nothing' rut again)

:sigh - any ideas?

expatmom
08-20-2006, 06:13 PM
What about volunteering for a non-profit or visiting people in a care home?

joystrength
08-24-2006, 11:38 PM
You know what I thought? If you work from 5-9 a.m, come home and clean, etc until lunch, then that IS a full day right there. I'd not feel TOO guilty about "relaxing" for a while! :rockon

BUT I understand the boredom factor ...

volunteering sound like a GREAT idea!

what are your passions? what is your job? could you do something/volunteer somewhere that relates to either/or one of those?