PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice.

Mama Rophe
08-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I got some crinkle cotton for $1 a yard at walmart the other day. I would like to make a hippie style skirt with them. Does anyone have any patterns or instructions?

hbmamma
08-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I used to have a pattern a long time ago, but it's so easy...I'm assuming it's 45" wide?

Using the tier method: With the fabric folded, you'll want to cut it into 15-20" sections.
Tier 1: Measure your waist and double that number (if you want a really full skirt, triple it). Sew your sections into a circle (salvage to salvage) equalling (or coming close) to that number. This is the top tier. You can fold down the waist line about 3/4"-1", sew, leaving a place to insert 1/2" elastic (measured comfortably around your waist). Sew elastic together and sew waist closed.
Tier 2: Double (or triple) the second tier from the circumference of tier 1. Pin and pucker it to the bottom of the top tier and sew.
Tier 3: Repeat tier 2, doubling (or tripling) the circumference of tier 2.

This can be repeated if you're tall :grin

Hem the bottom and you'll have a cool hippie skirt :grin
HTH
If you have questions, I'd be happy to help answer them :)

apmommy
08-18-2006, 03:23 PM
That's so cool that you two know how to sew. I have no clue...so that's great that you have that ability!! :tu

Mama Rophe
08-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks Lea! :tu

Now does anybody have instructions on how to sew a wrap style skirt that will stay in place?