PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Beet greens, turnip greens, other greens?

tempus vernum
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Do you eat greens besides spinach and lettuces?

If you do, how do you prepare them? I am going to braise some beet greens today but haven't tried them before. I have a recipe but was wondering other ways to prepare them!

Mama Calidad
08-21-2006, 08:46 AM
We mostly just do spinach...and some "cow's tongue" green leafy thing. (I'm not a good translator, but that's what I get from the name. :giggle ) Wash, saute with butter, garlic and a little salt. Squeeze a little lime juice on top, if you like. :shifty

snlmama
08-21-2006, 08:50 AM
With turnip greens, I usually get some turnips to go w them and just boil them. Add a little tabasco and salt toward the end. You could add in onion while you boil if you like. I do mustard greens the same way..

I do swiss chard and spinach the way Mama Calidad described except I use olive oil instead of butter. I've never had beet greens. :think

ShangriLewis
08-21-2006, 09:10 AM
We put greens in lasagna. I usually use the greens mix from Trader Joes. I just saute them to get the water out and I add cauliflower, red pepper, carrots etc and use the for the veggies in my lasagna. My veggie lasagna is really thick with veggies.

Greens can be juiced or added to smoothies.

I slice kale up really thin and add it to my salad for the week.

Iarwain
08-21-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm not a big cooked greens eater but I made some really yummy one time by wilting them and cooking in white sauce and serving over rice. It was actually mixed greens of various types - my mesclun that had started to go to seed and was too bitter for salad. Came out pretty good.