PDA

View Full Version : This may just be a vent, but if you have ideas...

snlmama
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
So, 4 yo ds is, well, being 4. :shifty He's one of those kids who thinks he needs all of the attention all of the time. And he talks nonstop. All day long. I try to listen and converse, but I often zone out b/c it just goes on and on and on.... I at least try to "uh huh" or whatever to help him feel I'm listening. But, sometimes I just have to converse w/ someone else. An example would be today when I picked 7 yo ds up at school. Now, I've been listeing to the 4 yo for10 min. in the car and another 5 while I wait. I've been alone w/ him all day, pretty much just listening.... So, 4 yo is still talking when his brother comes out and I say "just a minute honey" and ask my 7 yo how his day was. Sooo, 4 yo gets all upset, refuses to walk to the car b/c "no one ever is listening to me. Not ever." <sigh> Now, it's currently 102 out there so I just pick him up and go....

This goes on in some form all day long. Every time I need to talk to anyone else 4 yo ds freaks like that. He's thrown a fit and left the dinner table b/c I was talking to dh. He's done the same as above at the grocery store while I paid.... Any suggestions than just telling him that sometimes I need to talk to other people and carrying him to where I need him to be if necessary.

:crazy :crazy

Marsha
08-17-2006, 02:21 PM
I have one of those. She can't stand it if I talk to her Dad for two minutes, but if I prompt her to tell her dad something, she runs away and pouts and then comes back and is angry that we continued talking in the meantime because now she is ready!

I SO know what you mean.