PDA

View Full Version : Best beans and rice recipes?

tempus vernum
08-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Anyone want to share? Vegetarian or not, I can change according to our dietary desires :)

MidnightCafe
08-23-2006, 10:03 AM
bumping this up because I had the same question... :popcorn

CountryGirl
08-23-2006, 11:01 AM
This is my favorite meal ever- And it's super easy.

One can of black beans
1 cup uncooked brown rice (cook following directions on bag/box)
1 cup frozen corn

Once the rice is cooked I toss in the beans and corn, sprinkle with basil, salt & pepper and have a quick lunch that my kids also love. (The above amount feeds me and my 2 kiddos with maybe a little left over.)

*A sprinkle of jack cheese is really yummy, too.*

If I'm making a larger meal I double the above "recipe" and add chicken. For the chicken I sautee a breast or two in olive oil, basil, salt & pepper. I cube the chicken after it's cooked (I think you could do this prior to cooking and it would speed up the process, but I can't stand the idea of touching raw chicken.) Add chicken to above mixture.

Jenni

snlmama
08-23-2006, 11:18 AM
I use Hambeen's 15-bean soup dried bean mixture. Saute onions and garlic (however much you want) and put in crock pot. Rinse the beans and add to crockpot. Fill w/ water to cover by about an inch. Cook all day on low. About an hour before you plan to eat, add a can (or 2) of diced tomatoes, the seasoning mix from the package and some tabasco. Serve over cooked rice.

Sometimes I heat up smoked sausage to eat w/ it.

ChristianMother27
08-23-2006, 11:25 AM
cajun red beans and rice :D

or...

hoppin' john (the new years eve black beans and rice dish)

or just plain rice with pinto beans on top (and a little bit of pinto bean cooking "juice" as a gravy)

Garnet
08-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I like to mix chili beans, pre cooked rice and a little salsa and cheese. I bake it all until the cheese is melty. My kids call it the mexican mess. :laughtears

ChristianMother27
08-23-2006, 11:33 AM
ohhhh 7 layer burritos :D

ShangriLewis
08-23-2006, 12:54 PM
If you want the meaty flavor without meat you can add a few drops of liquid smoke.

I really like to mix together any beans and rice we have leftover from a meal with some veggies and salad dressing. I eat that cold for lunches.

This is lazy, but I heat up a can of carribean beans..I think they are S&W. Pour over some brown rice and squeeze lime on the top. Serve with corn on the cob that has been Earth Balanced and limed as well. If you use minute rice you can get this on the table fast. It can be rolled in corn tortillas and toped with enchilada sauce as well.