PDA

View Full Version : need high protein, portable snack ideas

herbalwriter
08-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Ds has trouble with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), so the protein/carb combo is essential for him with snacks...at home, we can do pb, cheese, plain yogurt and such, but what about on the go? What are some high protein snacks that we can take with us? Thanks mamas!

joystrength
08-16-2006, 01:43 PM
are you veg? If so, please ignore the "non-veg" suggestions! We're right there with ya on the NEED FOR PROTEIN in snacks, etc! SO much, that I took canned chicken on a recent international flight (but before the no-liquid rule, :D) just to insure that DS would have something with protein when he NEEDED it!

Here's what I'd suggest:
-- canned meat with crackers
-- beef jerky in very small pieces
-- cheese cubes
-- nutbutter spread with crackers

I know those are not really "keep in the diaper bag for days" kind of snacks, though. I'll have to think more, I guess.

:shrug

Aisling
08-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Can he eat nuts? Macadamia nuts help me sometimes. Soybeans, premade peanut butter and crackers in a ziplock, cheesesticks, peanut butter/quinoa cookies..

hopefromgrace
08-16-2006, 02:50 PM
we like to take garbanzo or kidney beans along in a little tupperware,sometimes with a little braggs on top for taste. :tu

herbalwriter
08-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I wish ds liked beans. He does like bean dip, like hummus (must be the GCM influence, ha ha). Thanks for the suggestions...but most of these things aren't, as Joystrength put it, "keep in the diaper bag for days" kinds of snacks. Hm.

And no, we are not veg, although we tend that way. I wonder if maybe just some cubed cooked chicken of my own, no liquid involved, in a small pyrex container...? That would not keep very well...but it could be an "eat it throughout the morning" kind of snack. :think

And it is true that I could do the pre-made nut butter and crackers. I don't want to do straight nuts because of the choking hazard (call me paranoid). :shifty But I do let him eat sunflower seeds...do those have a lot of protein?

And I would love a recipe for pb/quinoa cookies! :yum

joystrength
08-16-2006, 09:36 PM
You know, now that I think about it, I found a GREAT product that was new to me. Soynuts! Essentially, they're roasted soybeans. HIGH, HIGH in protein, too! My kiddos really liked them for a while, and then kind of lost interest. They're REALLY great on big people salad, too.

Here's a link: http://www. mightymomunchies.com

Note: These are NOT a brand we've bought, but we MIGHT, now that I see all the varieties. We've only tried the Wal-mart brand. :/

herbalwriter
08-16-2006, 09:42 PM
You know, I had forgotten about those...I went through a "roasted soynut phase" a few years back. I don't like to give peanuts and bigger nuts to ds, but I remember the soynuts being smaller and crisper, and not so hard. I will have to look into those again! Thanks!!

I guess I could spring for those high protein bars, but the expense is huge!! :eek

Ooo, I just remembered chopped nuts, too, that you can get in grocery stores...they are sometimes expensive, but I have seen them on sale. Those would be small enough not to pose a problem. :think

joystrength
08-16-2006, 09:52 PM
I worried about the size, too, and didn't give them to MY 2 yo until she had back molars. My kiddos are totally NUT FREE due to allergies, but they really liked these. I'll have to try them again myself!