PDA

View Full Version : cooking/replacement question

LadybugSam
08-16-2006, 10:37 AM
I have 2 recipes that i'm doing this week that calls for dry sherry. The first one i read said that it was optional so i didn't get any but after i came home i noticed the second recipe called for it and its needed. I dont' want to have to go back to the store! Plus i've never bought alcohol before, and i wouldn't know what to look for.

Is there something i can use in replacement of it? it calls for a good 1/2 cup.

TIA!

snlmama
08-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I usually sub juice if it asks for wine/sherry.

freshwaterfish
08-16-2006, 10:42 AM
It depends what it is, but I've substituted vinegar before... you wouldn't want to do this if it's supposed to be sweet though, I guess...

April

LadybugSam
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
its a beef kabob recipe...

3/4 c. dry sherry
1/2 c. soy sauce
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 large onion, minced
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
3 lbs cubed steak
18 bamboo skewers

combine everything but the steak and skewers and mix well. put in ziplock bag and add meat. Refridgerate 3 hours (or overnight). Put on skewers (make sure sides of beef are touching), and grill on medium heat, cook for 8-12 minutes.

I've never had it before so i don't know if its supposed to be sweet or sour or somewhere in between...

freshwaterfish
08-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Balsamic or red wine vinegar would go well with that... That's what I would try...

LadybugSam
08-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks! I just picked up a new bottl of balsamic vinegar when i was at the store! I think i'll try that! Thanks!

freshwaterfish
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
No prob! Sounds yummy... I might have to try that... I have some steak thawing in the fridge right now... and I happen to have some cooking sherry... hehe