PDA

View Full Version : Reupholstering kitchen chairs

fancifulfrog
08-14-2006, 11:12 AM
MIL just called me to let me know she and FIL found a much needed table and chairs for us in a local garage sale. The chairs need to be reupholstered. Has anybody done this? How would I go about recovering them and what would be the best material?

OpalsMom
08-14-2006, 01:30 PM
If these are the kind with just a pad on them, it's the easiest thing ever. You need a tack hammer (and tacks) or a staple gun. Buy whatever upholstery material you like (lighterweight stuff has to be redone more often). Turn chair upside down. Remove screws, if any. Contemplate how tight the fit is as you take the pad out. If it was a real pain, remove the top layer of fabric. If not, don't. Cut a square of new fabric big enough to wrap around the pad to the back, and tack or staple it down. (It's usually easiest to start with on edge, then do a parallel, opposite edge, then do the other two -- gives you something to pull against.) Be sure to pay extra attention to the corners. The top has to look good, the bottom just has to have the fasteners all the way in. Trim off any large amounts of extra fabric. Put seat pad back. Watch people admire your amazing upholstery skills. (Do not let them turn the chairs upside down, not that anyone has ever asked me.)

fancifulfrog
08-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Thank you. I appreciate it. I just wasn't sure if it would need special fabric or not. Sounds like I just need to find something sturdy.