PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a.....

craftymom75
08-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Treadle sweing machine?
My dad completely overhauled a beautiful 100+ yr old machine for me,
But I'm kind of stumped as to start. I don't know how to sew with a machine,
(I taught myself how to hand sew years ago) but am ready to start making my own and kids clothes.
Any help is good!
TIA!!!

expatmom
08-13-2006, 03:57 PM
I've used one but I would have no idea how to explain it. You need to get the right rhythym going somehow.

Wow, a 100yr old treadle foot machine! I'd love to have that just for decoration! :tu

cklewis
08-14-2006, 06:43 AM
:cool No advice, but. . . .

C

Iarwain
08-14-2006, 07:27 AM
ME! I don't use it often because it only has straight stitch and I do a lot of things that need zigzag, but I :heart LOVE :heart my treadle. It is quiet and smooth and so soothing once you get the hang of it. And did I mention quiet? I rebuilt my treadle from a garage sale junker. It is a 1940s Kenmore built by White. I also have a 1909 Singer 9W and another Singer for my dd that currently has a motor but I plan to rehaul it with a hand crank.

What level of help do you need? Do you know how to thread it and wind a bobbin? That varies with brand and model. Just getting the hang of the treadling motion mostly requires practice and may also vary with brand (Singers run "backwards" to other brands).

How about I point you in the best direction for getting help. There is an email list especially for treadle users and the wisdom to be got there is boundless. There is also a website that may get you started, but joining the TreadleOn list will give you access to real live people who already know all about the exact type of machine you have (no matter what it is) in great detail.

The list:

http://www.quiltropolis.net/maillists/maillistsdetail.asp?catid=Sewing+Machines

TreadleOn is the third down on the list. I STRONGLY recommend digest format.

The associated website (very informative, this is where I learned how to restore and use my machine):

http://www.treadleon.net/

Basic instructions on how to treadle:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachineshop/treadles/howtotreadle.html

If it won't run smoothly you may need to adjust the tension of your belt, the instructions for which can also be found on the treadleon website, just click on the sewing machine shop.

If you can't find the info you need on the website or associated links, someone on the list will be able to tell you how to
find threading diagrams, manuals, etc... I'd love to see a picture of your machine! I can't get up to take one of mine right now 'cause I have a snuggler in my lap, but I'll try later if I get a chance. Mine's not much of a looker anyway, in fact it's a bit on the ugly side, but it runs like a dream!

Hope that helps you get started!

craftymom75
08-14-2006, 02:36 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much Iarwain. I am so clueless, but since this is what I have to work with
I am counting my blessings, (soon) one stitch at a time. The brand of the machine is one
I have never heard of, but the sewing machine itself stays in the case, and when you open the top to the left,
it rises up, very cool. Thanks again!!!!

UltraMother
08-14-2006, 07:47 PM
*sigh*
Dh has collected 2 broken ones, and I'm not sure if they can be repaired or not. I would LOVE to get them working if possible. I'll have to search thru those links and see what I can find. Really need to find someone who can LOOK at them and tell me what's up.

Iarwain
08-15-2006, 12:21 PM
*sigh*
Dh has collected 2 broken ones, and I'm not sure if they can be repaired or not. I would LOVE to get them working if possible. I'll have to search thru those links and see what I can find. Really need to find someone who can LOOK at them and tell me what's up.

You can TOTALLY do it! Treadles aren't that complicated, the most touchy part to fix is the tension mechanism. If you lived close to me I'd be delighted to help you figure them out. :D I love working on sewing machines.

craftymom75
08-18-2006, 02:05 PM
You can TOTALLY do it! Treadles aren't that complicated, the most touchy part to fix is the tension mechanism. If you lived close to me I'd be delighted to help you figure them out. :D I love working on sewing machines.
[/quote]

Do you by chance live near the western suburbs of Chicago??

Iarwain
08-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Do you by chance live near the western suburbs of Chicago??

LOL! No, but I'm not that far! Couple hours depending on how far out you are. Hmmm...