PDA

View Full Version : diabetic safe cake?

Ellyane
08-08-2006, 11:14 AM
so it's birthday time here, and my bil has just discovered he's diabetic. My mom wants to make a cake with splenda instead of sugar, as that's supposed to be safe for him. I try really hard to avoid artificial sweeteners though, so I'm hoping someone here has an alternative idea. Please???

hbmamma
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
My MIL is a diabetic. She does not like Splenda - it has too many carbs (which must be counted too - so often people get confused about what is counted...). My MIL uses Equal for most of her baking, however, just because it uses Equal doesn't mean a diabetic can eat the whole thing... (My MIL should be the poster child for how diabetics should eat and take care of themselves :rockon).

Is your BIL on insulin? If he is or not, but is aware of how his body reacts to sugar and other foods, he may be able to allow himself a small piece of regular cake. My MIL will do such on rare occasions (she prefers my baking with real sweeteners :shifty) It may be best to discuss this with him prior to his party. Fresh fruit on angel food cake may be an acceptable alternative. :shrug

Ellyane
08-09-2006, 01:48 PM
hmmm. BIL tends to be the type to want to over indulge. Splenda has to be counted? :scratch Funny because I was told it was approved by the american diabetes association. How can something have carbs but no calories?

hbmamma
08-09-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure :think
I just remember that my MIL doesn't touch it :shrug Maybe it wasn't carbs...I don't remember...sorry...
I do know that one can't indulge just because it isn't made with real sugar...

Ellyane
08-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I do know that one can't indulge just because it isn't made with real sugar...

well, I can't be my BIL's keeper. :giggle

hbmamma
08-09-2006, 02:06 PM
very true :grin