PDA

View Full Version : Our first tomato!

RubySlippers
08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
For lunch, we ate the first tomato from dd's tomato plant! :woohoo
It was DELICIOUS!!!!
It reminded me of the feeling I had when we first started homeschooling...like "can I get away with this?" "is this alright?"
I had the sense that somebody out there wouldn't be happy that we weren't buying their produce. :giggle

greenemama
08-09-2006, 05:54 AM
:yum good for you! i've been buying them at the farmer's market and a friend gave me a huge bag full of hers. we didn't plant any this year. :bag

Joyce
08-09-2006, 06:51 AM
I had my first tomato, too. :P My poor tomato plants, they didn't even get staked this year. :td I have tomatos rotting on the ground.

I also noticed blossom rot on my tomatoes. I don't know what causes that. They are Roma.

Mama Calidad
08-09-2006, 07:19 AM
:yum Fresh tomatoes are so yummy! :tu

canadiyank
09-03-2006, 01:15 AM
I also noticed blossom rot on my tomatoes. I don't know what causes that. They are Roma.

Calcium deficiency. I have heard you can put powdered milk on the soil but have never tried it. I get it on my romas a lot. I think I'm going to try this (http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8324&ss=blossom%20rot) product next season.

Joyce
09-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Calcium... OK! Thanks for the info!

Warning...vent ahead.....

I am considering planting more pumpkins and less flowers and everything else next year. I'm very frustrated with the lack of help I've gotten from DH this year. I have had only 1 or 2 chances to weed the garden. I have tomatoes rotting on the ground because I did not get an opportunity to stake them. The only bright spot in my garden is I planted 3 pumpkin plants (all in the same hole), and so far there are 15 (knock on wood) pumpkins out there. Meanwhile, DH goes out with his buddies whenever he feels like it. ARGH!!! :hissyfit All I would need is for someone else to watch the baby so I can get down and dirty in the garden a little bit each week. Nope, no dice. It must be nice to be male and clueless. :mad Yeah, I know, I should go talk to him...

canadiyank
09-05-2006, 10:46 AM
:hug I'm sorry! This summer a lot of times I could work while dh put the girls to bed (since it was still light out), and that was nice, b/c I couldn't get anything done with them around during the day unless it was inside the fenced area.

Joyce
09-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, DH came in from the garage just as I hit the "Post" button and said, "Do you want some garden time? I'll watch Mr. Peanut." :doh

I spent some quality time crying in my weedy garden. I staked up 3 of the tomato plants. I can't find 2 of them anymore. And I got rid of lots of weeds. Ahhh.....I feel SO much better now. :)

canadiyank
09-05-2006, 09:45 PM
:highfive :hug