PDA

View Full Version : can you help me re: diabetic diet?

Garnet
08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
I can't seem to remeber everything from 5 years ago. I think I had to keep the carbs under 45 grams and the sugar content under 10%. I know for sure what I can't eat so I'm not even going to try: juice, fruit, sweets, carbs of any kind. Also alot of milk products have too much sugar for me.

So that leaves me with meat, veggies, cheese. I know I can have cottage cheese. So any good recipe ideas? Any other thoughts on things that will be okay? I know I can have hummus....just with veggies. I bought some crackers in case I have to have a carb of some kind.

beccafromlalaland
08-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I went through this twice.

2 carb units per meal/snack which equals 30 total carbs. Always pair with protien :-) No refined sugars, no juice. Dairy did not count as a carb.

Here is a sample of what I would eat in a day (kept a food journal so this is actually a day that I have recorded on the computer haha)

Breakfast: 2 egg omlet with tomato, onion, and green pepper 1 peice WW Toast w butter 1 6oz light N fit vanilla yogurt 20oz water

Snack: 1 package (of 6) cheese crackers with PB filling 20 oz Water

Lunch: 1 cup chili, salad with the works lite balsamic dressing (works are tomato, carrot, onion, cucumber, and 2TBS of shredded cheese) 16oz water

Snack: 1/2 cup sliced apple with peanut butter 8oz of milk

Dinner: small grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup rice, stir fried veggies no sauce 20oz water

Bedtime Snack: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich on WW bread with 2 sliced strawberries instead of jam. 16oz water

I ate every 2-3hrs no more than 3hrs between meals.

Garnet
08-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Its a little different for me. Things most people would be able to eat I couldn't. I hadn't thought of light yougurt. I loved yougurt and didn't eat any last time because it made my sugar skyrocket. I had a problem with milk too. I couldn't pair it with certain things and not have high sugars.

Mother of Sons
08-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Did they not put you on insulin?

I could have 30 grams of carbs for breakfast and snacks and 60 for lunch and dinner. It is best to always have a good amount of protein to help slow things down.

I hated eating at all so I don't really remember much of what I ate. Right now I like chop salads with no lettuce. I cut up into small pieces: Cucumber, green and red pepper, red onions and whatever other veggies I can think of and I mix it with a smidge of shredded cheese and a little bit of ranch dressing. Oh and I put in cut up turkey too.

Garnet
08-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I was going to have to. But I had a heart to heart with my child and he was born about 7 hours before I was scheduled to go to the perinatologists to learn how to give myself shots. :ptl LOL.

beccafromlalaland
08-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Its a little different for me. Things most people would be able to eat I couldn't. I hadn't thought of light yougurt. I loved yougurt and didn't eat any last time because it made my sugar skyrocket. I had a problem with milk too. I couldn't pair it with certain things and not have high sugars.

That sounds like someone who is diabetic in "real life" were you tested between pregnancies? Pregnancy makes diabetes "worse" makes your sugar more difficult to handle. You do have to be careful with milk. it does have carbs in it, you might try the "reduced" carb milk if you want to. Hood farms or something like that makes it.

Garnet
08-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah I was they said I was borderline. Not enough to need insulin, just watch my diet. Which I do for the most part. ( I have a weakness for chocolate) But its always a little different in pregnancy for me. I have to be extra careful.