PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Cake/Cake Pan question

RealLifeMama
07-31-2006, 06:42 PM
I am so glad I have you ladies, to whom I can post all my cooking/baking questions. I try, I really do, but domestic diva I am not! I wish someone in my family, like my mom, were knowlegable about such things, but if she were I would probably know better what I was doing, LOL.
Anyway, I am making a sponge cake in which the recipe calls for a 9 inch square pan, that I do not have.

I found this site http://allrecipes.com/advice/ref/conv/pansizes.asp
that has all the conversions, but I don't have the pans that are listed either, nor do I think they will work for what I am making anyway.
I saw that a 9 inch square pan uses 8 cups of batter.
Do you think it would work OK for me to make 1 1/2 times the recipe and put it in 2-9 inch round pans that take 12 cups of batter, or is sponge cake totally different from all other cakes?
The last time I made this sponge cake was, um, I dunno, before children, which I can't remember anything from that era, it was like a whole other life!
What do you think?

Six Little Feet
07-31-2006, 07:02 PM
Usually a sponge cake goes in a round TUBE pan?? are sure it doesn't say tube pan. I dunno either. :popcorn

RealLifeMama
07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Usually a sponge cake goes in a round TUBE pan?? are sure it doesn't say tube pan. I dunno either. :popcorn

Yeah, I know, but this is for an ice cream cake, so it wouldn't work too well for it to be in a tube.
Well, it is a Martha Stewart recipe and you know how that can be... She just has to make everything difficult, LOL.

The recipe says to bake it in a 9 inch square, then cut it in half so that there are two layers with ice cream in between.
I guess I can just try to bake it in 1 9 inch pan and see how it comes out. It if it too thin, though, I will only have one layer of cake.
:shrug

DH specifically requested this, so I hope it comes out well.