PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Soup freezing question!

Aisling
07-31-2006, 02:12 PM
I have a LOAD of veggies that were given to me, and am making a big batch of vegetable soup this afternoon. If I freeze it, how long can I expect it to stay good in the freezer? :scratch I thought it might be a good thing to have onhand for dh to heat up for us after the baby comes since he'll be the only one at home with us for the first week.

Do ya think it would keep for more than 3 weeks? :shifty If not, then at least that's one last thing I'll have to do while I'm really pregnant :P~

geegee
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
The main thing about freezing is how well you package it.I freeze chilie and soup in those glad plastic containers and it stays good for 6 months plus.

Aisling
07-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Really...that long? :mrgreen

hbmamma
07-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Yup, it really all depends on how well you package it for long term storage - you can expect 6 months to a year

I want to get one of those vacuum freezer things with the containers for soup - vacuum the air out and freeze :tu

Aisling
07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
A vaccuum would be nice :tu In the past, I've just used a straw and sucked the excess air from a freezer baggie :P~

Chris3jam
07-31-2006, 02:47 PM
I suck out the air and double bag it (even with the freezer bags). And I keep it over a year, even. I bought a freezer that is not a frostless model deliberately, just so it stays below freezing for that very purpose. Yes, I have to defrost every year, but it's worth it.

Aisling
07-31-2006, 03:34 PM
:mrgreen Post your favorites! So far, I've frozen a big batch of veggie soup...

Vegetarian recipes welcome! (but dh will thank anyone who shares their favorite meat recipes :giggle)