PDA

View Full Version : We were hacked!

Iarwain
07-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Last night dh told me he was on the 'puter and suddenly the mouse started moving and somebody downloaded something (he doesn't know what). It had something to do with a particular program he's got on there - VNC or something. It lets you access another computer remotely. We have no bank info on the computer but I'm concerned that there may have been some passwords or something. So we need to go and change all our passwords everywhere. Anyone have any experience? What other precautions should we be taking at this point? We do have two computers and wireless DSL connecting them but I'm pretty sure it wasn't someone on our wireless because we live out in the country and would notice anyone close enough to be within range.

Wonder Woman
07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
I don't know - but that is pretty scary!

lmgeenw
08-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Yikes! What did you end up doing? We dont have bank numbers on here or anything, but I have lots of stored passwords. :scratch

joyful mama
08-25-2006, 10:33 PM
:jawdrop :hugheart

boonpnutsmom
08-25-2006, 11:17 PM
VPN is really hard to hack into.... it takes a pretty serioys HACKER to get into VPN!!! I would file a report with your ISP company and ask them to file a tracing report!!! ASAP!!!

Rabbit
08-26-2006, 01:25 AM
What computer is he accessing remotely? How well secured is that computer? My husband logs into his work computer from home, with the same program. He had to provide proof to his work that he had antivirus software, and a solid firewall, and they use some of VPN's advanced options to further protect themselves. Both computers have to have that kind of protection, or his entire company network would be at risk through his home computer. What kind of protection do you have?

My husband suggests disconnecting from the internet physically, and then run every available antivirus and antisoftware program that he has, and let the IT guys at his work (as I assume he's using VPN to access a work computer) know what happened, so that they can check the company computers, and do the same there.

-Natalie