PDA

View Full Version : Help: Making a clothing pattern

KatieMae
07-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Anyone who's done this - what kind of paper, etc do you use for the pattern?

Explanation: The "Loving Stitches" ministry that I just took over at our church sews gowns for newborn babies & we only have a couple of patterns available. I'm trying to get more women to help sew, but I need to have patterns & directions to give them! The few patterns that do exist are made of some kind of plasticy paper, but I'm not sure what it is or where to buy it.

TIA :heart

UltraMother
07-27-2006, 11:44 AM
This is my favorite stuff for tracing patterns.

http://www.elizabethlee.com/patterns/fabric.htm#Kwik

It's actually a fabric, not pattern paper, and I find it much easier to work with. :)

Lilliputian
07-31-2006, 06:27 AM
When I'm tracing a pattern that I'm going to want to reuse over and over, I trace it onto cheap interfacing. The kind in the packages (rather than by the yard) can be really cheap. They have packs at Hancocks that are 3 yards for $.99, and that's included when notions are 50% off, so I stock up on them then. I think notions are 50% off at my Hancocks either this Saturday or next.

hbmamma
07-31-2006, 06:55 AM
For smaller things like baby clothing, I've used tracing paper. You can buy very large sheets of it at craft/art supply shops like Michael's (which is where I got mine). I think it was 20x30" and I was able to lay the pattern under a single sheet and trace it. I've used them over and over again and it has held up well. :grin

Moon
08-02-2006, 08:39 AM
I've used fabric I don't like, paper grocery sacks, the sunday funnies :lol